Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Former Gold Wing owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Northern Glide
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,917 Likes on 2,815 Posts

If you have the cash and like variety go for it.
After 3 Wings (1200,1500,1800) and 15 years, my Wings served me well and were very predictable. One day I just got bored looking at all the plastic and I just couldn't Wing it anymore.
Climbing on my '09 Ultra brought back the road thrill I haven't felt since my last Sporty back in '82. It's all in what you ride for........and it's all good.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle J Moose
I've ridden over 300k miles on my two GWs and still have my 03. The stock fork suspension design on the GW sucks as it doesn't damp well and sends shocks from bumps right up the fork into the handbars and up your shoulders into your neck. Only one side of the fork has a working shock in it, so the best thing one can do with a new GW is to get a Traxxion suspension upgrade (available for Harley's too). After I upgraded my GW suspension, the handling and comfort improved dramatically.
I prefer to ride my Ultra, because it fits me better and I can ride farther without my butt aching. But the GW is faster, quicker, handles better, holds more luggage, get's around 41MPG all the time regardless of how I ride it and is more reliable. I have had to repair more things during the 40k miles I've put on my Ultra than I ever had to fix on both GWs combined. If I want to ride a long distance I usually choose the GW, because of the Ultra's lower reliability. I love the Ultra, but it is a real PITA to keep running.
Come on now Bullwinkle. Are you serious? I have had zero issues with my bike in the 6 years I've had it. I would not call it unreliable.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Ask the salesman to show you where the air filter is...(not just POINT). Ask "How long does it take to change a turn signal bulb? Can I do it in a less than an hour? Where is the radiator recovery tank? Is it down under the engine where rocks and debris can break the plastic?
Is it true that once my bike is ten years old, Honda frowns upon servicing them?"

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Honda's are good bikes. Harley's are good bikes. It now just boils down to personal preference.

IMO - HD's have a spirit about them that no other bike has. I also have an issue with the footing position and hip position on the GW's.

To the OP - rent a GW for the weekend and see how it sits and rides for YOU.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM
ssober
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been down this road just recently and just bought an ultra due to the wing not cooperating with my 36" inseam. I am not sure I made the right decision because you can buy a new level 1 2012 wing for 19,200 otd. It is hard to beat that. I wanted room and my bike to have a soul and thunder not a sewing machine (i think) and for what I got into a this ultra it would be an 08 wing with 30,000 miles.
I have 3 bikes besides the ultra in the garage and each has a purpose.
94 wing se 1500-touring with wife economy car
03 kaw zrx-just a giggle, not worth much just makes me smile
05 hayabusa dragbike-keeps me sane and helps me focus and tune out the rest

You cannot fault a wing in any way shape or form. If you want one buy it, if you don't like it sell it. Don't mod it and it won't lose much value. Honda missed the mark on the f6b on one item. No Cruise control.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a GW the first year they came out. 1975 GL-1000. Not nearly the bike they are today. No bags, no extra lighting, they didn't come with a windshield. There was no faring until Craig Vetter stepped up and created a company. It was a great cruiser and the only trouble I recall was related to cooling system seepage.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Guitarded
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have an old '85 GL1200. It always felt heavy at all times no matter how fast or slow I drove it. Finally, my buddy let me take his Electra Glide for a spin and I couldn't believe how light it felt in comparison to the Wing once I got it going. Eventually, the GL developed an electrical problem and had to get rid of it. Currently riding a '99 Electra Glide Classic. I had a taller windshield on the Wing and the stock Harley fairing and windshield is far superior in wind protection to my head. Not sure how the GL1800's compare. I'll have to rent one someday and find out.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GLi800 is a 800 pound motorcycle that feels 300 pounds lighter then it is - It's just one hell of a motorcycle - I enjoy The Harley sound but the piece & quiet of a Goldwing can also be nice on a long run - The new Wings handle like a large sport bike - they don't fit some taller riders - I'm 5'11" & with a set of risers & 1 inch pull backs mine fit me like a glove - Lot of Honda haters on here - most have never rode a GL1800 but they still hate them - My last one was a 2008 - it was a much better motorcycle then my Ultra in so many ways but i'll finishout my motorcycle riding days out on my Ultra - with all it's faults it's still a fun bike to ride & even better to just set back & look at - Damn what a Beautiful Old School Motorcycle.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:37 PM
tkbalt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had an 05 model. With a new rear shock, all ***** steering head bearings, and Traxxion dynamics fork rebuild - It handled more it should. The motor is bulletproof for the most part and it is a very smooth ride. For long distance, probably not much better out there.