Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012 | 10:00 PM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain
Question Heated gear

are any of you running heated gear (gerbing or H-D) for you & your wife?

gloves, jacket liner, socks &/or pant liner.

wondering if two people have full heated gear on will the charging system be able to keep up?

i have a 2011 street glide, changed out all the marker/turn signals to LED, changed the head light to HID.

i did a search but didnt find what i was looking for exactly.

anyone??????

Old 11-11-2012 | 10:07 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

I run gerbings gloves, jacket liner, pant liners and socks. My GF won't ride with me in the winter. She just mutters something about me being a stupid mother F%^ker and says she ain't riding under 70*.

Bike handles all my gear fine (11 SG and 97 Springer). According to Gerbings our bikes should support two full sets.

Old 11-11-2012 | 10:16 PM
Fat King
Advanced

Wife and I both have Gloves and jacket liners. No problems with charging system. Dont ride much under 40 deg.

Old 11-11-2012 | 10:17 PM
RPS1981
Road Master

Just bought the heated H-D gloves (made by Gerbings) and the controller. They are AMAZING. I ride year round, and no matter what I did, I could not keep my hands warm. Problem solved. Highly recommend.

Old 11-11-2012 | 10:27 PM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain

in northern ca we dont really get cold weather but we will ride into the 20s as long as its not wet out.

Old 11-11-2012 | 10:43 PM
rbferg
Road Master

Yes, you can run two full systems off the bike. I would suggest that you start with jacket liners and G3 gloves with dual controllers first. If you're still cold move on to pant liners and socks. I bet you won't be!

Last edited by rbferg; 11-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2012 | 11:02 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by rbferg
Yes, you can run two full systems off the bike. I would suggest that you start with jacket liners and G3 gloves with dual controllers first. If you're still cold move on to pant liners and socks. I bet you won't be!
I'll agree with this for sure. I bought the full set up but quickly found the gloves and jacket liner got the job done. Haven't ridden in anything under 30 with them yet so I don't know if I'll want the pant liners and the socks for under 30*.

Old 11-11-2012 | 11:26 PM
waybo418
Intermediate

I have the jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and the socks are on order (backordered for months) The wife just has the gloves. I ride alot in the 30's and have ridden as low as the teens. The wife wont go much below 45 degrees.

Gerbing's site lists the wattage draw for all their gear. I use the dual thermostat controls, one for the jacket and gloves and one for the pants and socks. From head to toe, the wattage draw is listed as 77 for the jacket, 44 for the pants, 27 for the gloves and 16.8 for the socks. The total wattage draw is 165.

Gonna catch crap for this statement, but from what I have been able to research, on average there is about 650 watts available output. To run the bike takes about 250 watts. You can add and subtract from that number any mods that you have done. LEDs take less juice, but auxilliary lights and/or added stereo equipment take more.

Also, the way that the thermostat works for the gear is that is not a constant draw unless you have it turned all the way up. If you have ever used just the on/off switch to control the gear, you know what a pain it is. You are constantly cutting the gear on and off because either it is too hot when on or too cold when off. The thermostat basically does that for you. It cuts the gear on and off. How often that occurs depends on how high you turn the thermostat.

IOW, to answer the OP's question, I have done the math, I do use the gear and I have never had any charging issues.

Old 11-12-2012 | 01:08 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow, never really looked before, that crap is not free... Does it work well enough to justify the cost for a working slug?

Old 11-12-2012 | 01:17 AM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
Wow, never really looked before, that crap is not free... Does it work well enough to justify the cost for a working slug?
no...its not cheap but the wife is toasty warm & that means we can ride just about year round.
im thinking about getting the gloves cause my hands are the only part that really gets cold in temps below 40*. my olympia gloves do a good job but after about 1.5 hours my fingers start to tingle.

Quick Reply: Heated gear