Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012 | 03:10 PM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
It is pretty easy and cheap to make your own heated gear, if anyone is interested I will go more into it.
wife asked me if they anyone makes a headed beanie or head piece for under the helmet.
i would be interested

Old 11-25-2012 | 03:39 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CHILLLS
wife asked me if they anyone makes a headed beanie or head piece for under the helmet.
i would be interested
Well I have made heated grips and a heated jacket. I thought about doing it for years before I actually did something.
I started out with an old heated blanket that the controls went bad, I picked it up at the local goodwill store, for a buck. Pulled the wires out and just started playing around with the wire length until I found a length that got the temperature that was comfortable for the application.
Heated grips you want hotter than a heated coat. 180 or so for the grips 140-150 for the jacket. The shorter the wire the hotter it gets.
The grips I just wrapped them and then covered them in leather, the jacket I threaded the wires into the liner.
Doing some head gear the hardest part would be getting the right length for the wire, since it would be so short a wire, you would need to wire in some sort of resistor to cut back the voltage or it would get way to hot. That and it would get pretty thick because of the material that you would have to put the wires in.
You could maybe put the wires inside the helmet.
I go into it in more detail on the grips in my build site link posted below on page 29-31, the jacket is page 42.
I have been running the grips for two years and the jacket for one. They both work great, and yes I ride in twenty degree weather quite a bit.

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 11-25-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2012 | 04:39 PM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Well I have made heated grips and a heated jacket. I thought about doing it for years before I actually did something.
I started out with an old heated blanket that the controls went bad, I picked it up at the local goodwill store, for a buck. Pulled the wires out and just started playing around with the wire length until I found a length that got the temperature that was comfortable for the application.
Heated grips you want hotter than a heated coat. 180 or so for the grips 140-150 for the jacket. The shorter the wire the hotter it gets.
The grips I just wrapped them and then covered them in leather, the jacket I threaded the wires into the liner.
Doing some head gear the hardest part would be getting the right length for the wire, since it would be so short a wire, you would need to wire in some sort of resistor to cut back the voltage or it would get way to hot. That and it would get pretty thick because of the material that you would have to put the wires in.
You could maybe put the wires inside the helmet.
I go into it in more detail on the grips in my build site link posted below on page 29-31, the jacket is page 42.
I have been running the grips for two years and the jacket for one. They both work great, and yes I ride in twenty degree weather quite a bit.
thats some good info. i think the wife has an electric blanket around here somewhere.