Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012 | 10:33 AM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Well, I am interested in how a setup like the OP has affects things, was thinking of changing over to LEDs for just this reason.

Never saw anything in HD brand for feet. Gerbing’s has insoles ( which I think would be perfect ) and now has another heated sock, which I think they had discontinued for a while?

Anyway, I too am curious as to how switching to LEDs would affect the charging system, especially if I can ever get the OL to ride with me.??
like i said the wife is already setup with heated gear (she will ride with me just about every time) & no issues so far. i changed to LED partly for less power draw BUT mostly to be seen better. my HID head light draws less than the stock incandescent did (yes i know it draws more than stock on start up) but i have added a amp to power the speakers so i may have broke even on this part.

it took me a while to get the socks for the wife because they are always on back order from gerbings. they told me they sell out fast.

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
The only part of me that gets cold (I ride down to about 40 degrees) is my hands. I have been thinking about heated gloves. My question is what all do you need to buy?

I looked the Harley site just for starters and at the gloves that are part number 98323-09VM. (I realize I can probably get the non-branded ones cheaper, it was just easy to search there and easy for you guys to see what I am referring to.) It says that the price "includes connecting harness, power switch, and three prong harness to go up jacket sleeves." Is that all I would need, or are there other components I would have to buy? Do you also need to buy the thermostat? Or is that optional?
the wifes gloves came with everything you would need to hook them up but i got her the dual troller cause i was getting her the jacket liner & socks too. if you get a troller i would recommend the dual troller, its only a couple dollars more & you might buy more heated gear later on.

yes the stuff does get pricey but your talking about comfort while RIDDING. you dont want to be distracted by cold witch takes your focus away from the road you want to enjoy the ride & not worry about being cold.

after reading some of the post i have received & going on gearbings site to add up the total amp draw i think i will be fine adding another set of gear to my bike & for sure be ok if i just add gloves for me.

Old 11-12-2012 | 12:01 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
Wow, never really looked before, that crap is not free... Does it work well enough to justify the cost for a working slug?
I always thought it was too expensive to justify. This year is the first year I decided to try some of their gear. I guess as I'm getting older my circulation isn't what it used to be and my tolerance isn't either. I bought the gloves and received the rest for a birthday gift. All I can say is why the hell did I wait 30 years.

Old 11-12-2012 | 03:43 PM
Simonizer
Road Captain

As Mark stated I as well am feeling the cold, just waiting on Motoport heated & rain gear to arrive. I went with them because they make to order (I am short), they are pricey however very thorough, great customer service so far. Looking forward to some heat.

Old 11-13-2012 | 08:10 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain

My wife and I both have the Gerbings jacket liners and G3 gloves this year. The charging system on my 2012 RK handles the load with no problems. We are extremely pleased with the Gerbings gear. Last year when we rode in 30 degree temps, my hands would be painful due to the cold. I don't mean they were just cold - I mean they actually painfully hurt to the point I couldn't feel my fingers. The Gerbings G3 gloves cured that problem. What a joy it is to ride now in the cold with comfortable hands. I run the gloves at temperature neutral - my hands don't feel hot or cold - they just feel neutral. They're not cheap in price, but like most "add-ons" they're a fraction of the price of the bike itself and they make riding enjoyable in cold temps.

Old 11-13-2012 | 11:22 PM
beammeup
Road Master

Gerbing/ HD heated are excellent from what I hear.

I use Warm and Safe heated liner and gloves with their wireless dual controller. Excellent products and company. Have used it for several years and works great.

A stock HD should have no problem powering two full sets of gear as the amp draw is very very low.
A little advice - purchase the liner to fit tight, over a t-shirt, not over a shirt. it needs to be close to the skin for best results.

Whether Gerbing/ HD or Warm and Safe - all are TOASTY.

Old 11-14-2012 | 12:23 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Bought Gerbings gloves about 4 years ago. Got the on/off switch with them. Worth...every...penny!!! They are also a great glove to wear without plugging in. Warm, comfy, and waterproof.

Eventually I will buy the jacket liner mostly so I don't have to mess with wires and the thermostat for the convenience of not turning on/off. Can't say those two items are a must, but the Gerbings gloves are something EVERYONE should have that tries to extend their riding season. Sooner you get'em, the more miles you can put on'em.

Old 11-24-2012 | 06:26 PM
Pastor Ed
Tourer

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
Never saw anything in HD brand for feet.
I picked up a set of battery heated HD boots yesterday. They are brand new, it was the 1st set anyone had even tried on. I got home and slept on it and decided $400 was too dang much so I took them back today. They were very comfortable. If I didn't have a set of Thinsulate boots in the closet, I would have kept them.

Old 11-24-2012 | 06:33 PM
Pastor Ed
Tourer

The local HD dealer is getting their 1st shipment of HD Gerbing stuff this coming week. They are going to call me when they come in. I'm going to get the dual jacket liner and dual gloves. It bothers me that the HD dual jacket liners don't come in Long like the other Gerbing jacket liners do. I tried on some at the local BMW dealer and the R was too short in the sleeve. Oh well, I'll see next week. I rode 150 miles in 26 degree weather yesterday without them and did OK, but I would rather be warm and toasty rather than just OK:-)

Old 11-24-2012 | 06:52 PM
ccpeso
5th Gear
Default Heated glove liners

Bought the RapidFIRe Heated Glove Liner and power cable from our local Harley shop for about 105.00 and they work great. Have ridden in 30 degree temps and they keep my hands warm. Put about 80 miles on and had to turn them down to medium.

Old 11-24-2012 | 10:42 PM
CHILLLS
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pastor Ed
I picked up a set of battery heated HD boots yesterday. They are brand new, it was the 1st set anyone had even tried on. I got home and slept on it and decided $400 was too dang much so I took them back today. They were very comfortable. If I didn't have a set of Thinsulate boots in the closet, I would have kept them.
any pics or part numbers of these boots?

Quick Reply: Heated gear