Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012 | 04:41 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

I wanted the heated gloves but didnt feel I needed anything else that was heated. So I went with the battery operated version from Harley instead of the electrical plug in units. Have to say that so far..................My only complaint is I didnt buy these things sooner.

Old 11-12-2012 | 05:42 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master

Well, I am interested in how a setup like the OP has affects things, was thinking of changing over to LEDs for just this reason.

When it gets cold I run ( solo, wife won’t get on bike at all ) HD branded Gerbing’s gloves, jacket liner, and pants, with dual thermostat.

No problem at speed, but at idle battery is discharging: when I stop for a light I have to bring RPM to about 1500 to avoid draining battery.

BTW, when I say cold, I mean I put everything on below about 42 F, otherwise don’t use any ...

Have used the heated gear mentioned above in temps as low as 5 degrees at 70+ MPH for extended periods, but at this temp I noticed I needed something for the feet, which I do not have.

Never saw anything in HD brand for feet. Gerbing’s has insoles ( which I think would be perfect ) and now has another heated sock, which I think they had discontinued for a while?

Anyway, I too am curious as to how switching to LEDs would affect the charging system, especially if I can ever get the OL to ride with me.

One last note here: have had a couple of rider buddies with HD gear ( again, which is what I have ) had their jackets or whatever go bad .... It was beyond the HD warranty.
When they contacted HD, no go, beyond warranty.
When they contacted Gerbing’s, Gerbing’s said they would not cover it, but would have if it was Gerbing’s ?????? ( but it was made by them )

I see now the HD branded gear, NOW has a “ Lifetime warranty on heating elements. “

Wonder if they would honor the new warranty on my older gear??

Old 11-12-2012 | 06:55 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

The only part of me that gets cold (I ride down to about 40 degrees) is my hands. I have been thinking about heated gloves. My question is what all do you need to buy?

I looked the Harley site just for starters and at the gloves that are part number 98323-09VM. (I realize I can probably get the non-branded ones cheaper, it was just easy to search there and easy for you guys to see what I am referring to.) It says that the price "includes connecting harness, power switch, and three prong harness to go up jacket sleeves." Is that all I would need, or are there other components I would have to buy? Do you also need to buy the thermostat? Or is that optional?

Last edited by TKDKurt; 11-12-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2012 | 06:55 AM
TennesseeJed
Tourer

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
When they contacted HD, no go, beyond warranty.
When they contacted Gerbing’s, Gerbing’s said they would not cover it, but would have if it was Gerbing’s ?????? ( but it was made by them )

Wonder if they would honor the new warranty on my older gear??
I have Gerbing gear, gloves-jacket-pants. I bought from H-D when they closed out they older heated gear. I had the wiring in my jacket's lining get torn while I was trouble shooting my left glove not working. I called Gerbing and they said to send it in and they would, free of charge, repair. Received back within 10 days. Connector in glove needed adjustment which they coached me about.

When I contacted Gerbings' they were happy to repair my gear, free, even tho' I had bought it 3 yrs ago.

Last edited by TennesseeJed; 11-12-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 11-12-2012 | 07:25 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Same thing here. I bought my gloves (G3) and jacket liner and sent it in for repair. They had it back to me in a week including brand new gloves. I didn't even buy it from them. I bought it from a Ebay retailer six years ago and didn't have a receipt!

Old 11-12-2012 | 07:26 AM
circlenine
Tourer

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
It says that the price "includes connecting harness, power switch, and three prong harness to go up jacket sleeves." Is that all I would need, or are there other components I would have to buy? Do you also need to buy the thermostat? Or is that optional?
The thermostat is optional. Although everyone will tell you, myself included, that it is a great addition to the heated gear. Buying just the gloves, you should be fine with the hook ups they give you. Connecting harness to battery, then on/off switch between the gloves and the battery.

Old 11-12-2012 | 07:33 AM
wheelman38
Tourer

I just got the new gerbings t something gloves. Had the HD jacket liner. Best thing I ever bought. Too old to fight the cold anymore.. Its worth every penny and they all have good resale.

Old 11-12-2012 | 09:05 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Gerbing's heated gear was the best money I ever spent on motorcycling. Single-digit temperatures for hours on end are no longer a problem.

I can run one full set (jacket liner, gloves, overpants, insoles) on the Night Train without issue. I had a full raft of LED lighting on the FLHTK and never had a problem running gear for my wife and I.

Old 11-12-2012 | 09:14 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
Wow, never really looked before, that crap is not free... Does it work well enough to justify the cost for a working slug?
Worth every penny if you want to ride in the cold. I have been riding to work with temps in the 20's pretty routinely the last couple of weeks, but I am quite comfortable with heated gloves and jacket. I also wear First Gear HT Overpants (not heated). Even with my fairly long commute (56 miles one way) I have no qualms about taking the bike.

Old 11-12-2012 | 10:06 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark_H
I'll agree with this for sure. I bought the full set up but quickly found the gloves and jacket liner got the job done. Haven't ridden in anything under 30 with them yet so I don't know if I'll want the pant liners and the socks for under 30*.
I disagree. I think you should start with gloves & socks/insoles. It's surprising how warm the rest of your body stays when your hands & feet are warm. I have a nice heavy jacket that keeps my core warm and use under armor, pants, & chaps for my legs. I rode in in 25 degree temps last weekend and was toasty warm.

I spent around $400 for the heated gear I have and think that it was WELL worth the investment. I went with Gerbing's and have been really happy with the quality, performance, and price.

Quick Reply: Heated gear