Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does an inch really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does an inch really make a difference?

Putting on Ohlins (or maybe JRIs) and monotubes this winter and need help deciding whether to lower an inch. I can just barely flat foot with stock and would enjoy being an inch lower; but agree with a lot of posts i read about the more clearance the better for leaning/turning. I do long tours and like the twisties too.

I have never riden a lowered machine and don't have a source to compare. To lower or not to lower? Can you guys weigh in?

Much thanks.

Benny

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Put a 1" board under each one of your little feet while sitting on your bike and you'll feel the difference,.... Shorty

Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

1 inch shorter shocks don't give a full inch of lowering, due to the shock angle. I'm running 11.5 inch Progressive HD shocks along with a Road6 lowering kit, flat footed and no bottoming.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I thought this post was going in a different direction! Sorry. Continue on.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM
notrailers
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should ask Howard/ Motorcycle Metal what the difference in shock travel is, but yes 1 inch is a lot, both in lean angle and shock travel.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:43 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Put a 1" board under each one of your little feet while sitting on your bike and you'll feel the difference,.... Shorty

Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An inch is what it is.......

Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben E
Putting on Ohlins (or maybe JRIs) and monotubes this winter and need help deciding whether to lower an inch. I can just barely flat foot with stock and would enjoy being an inch lower; but agree with a lot of posts i read about the more clearance the better for leaning/turning. I do long tours and like the twisties too.

I have never riden a lowered machine and don't have a source to compare. To lower or not to lower? Can you guys weigh in?
I started with the stock 12" SG shocks and after having my tailbone knocked into my Adam's apple too many times from potholes in our substandard LA roads I decided I needed more shock travel. I next went with 12½" Progressive 440's with standard springs and there was some improvement, but I thought there had to be better options available. My second and last venture into shock swapping was in 2009 when I installed some Ohlins 2-3, which are 13¼", and that was the sweet spot for me.

These shocks rose the riding height as expected, but the ride is superb and it put the stroke up enough to eliminate bottoming and most any semblance of a rough ride. In fact, the ride is so velvety smooth it extends my riding tolerance by hours. My inseam is 30", I have no problems with the bike's height as it stands now, and I can barely flat-foot the bike at a stop. IMO if you skimp too much on riding height you pay for it in comfort, all other factors being equal. I would recommend buying the tallest shock your leg length can tolerate, and would definitely recommend calling Howard at Motorcycle Metal for his advice.

Last edited by iclick; 11-04-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 AM
6speed51
Road Captain
Received 102 Likes on 54 Posts

Ask your wife or girlfriend if one inch makes a difference.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 AM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=iclick;10516459]I started with the stock 12" SG shocks and after having my tailbone knocked into my Adam's apple too many times from potholes in our substandard LA roads I decided I needed more shock travel. I next went with 12½" Progressive 440's with standard springs and there was some improvement, but I thought there had to be better options available. My second and last venture into shock swapping was in 2009 when I installed some Ohlins 2-3, which are 13¼", and that was the sweet spot for me.

These shocks rose the riding height as expected, but the ride is superb and it put the stroke up enough to eliminate bottoming and most any semblance of a rough ride. In fact, the ride is so velvety smooth it extends my riding tolerance by hours. My inseam is 30", I have no problems with the bike's height as it stands now, and I can barely flat-foot the bike at a stop. IMO if you skimp too much on riding height you pay for it in comfort, all other factors being equal. I would recommend buying the tallest shock your leg length can tolerate, and would definitely recommend calling Howard at Motorcycle Metal
for his advise.[/QUOTE

+1 on this.
Lowered my RK 1" and it was great at a stop flat footed and loved it, but the ride was terrible and cornering suffered. Went to Works 13" shocks and that improved the ride and cornering clearance, but I felt the ride could be better. Gave Howard a call and now have the best ride. When I traded in my RK for the RGU I kept the shocks and put heavier springs on to handle the heavier bike

Quick Reply: Does an inch really make a difference?