Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my bike is sick.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 AM
fdkennedy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my bike is sick.

Went on a day trip the 1st. Was running down the highway perfectly at 70 then all the sudden she backfired and died. now it will crank but sounds like only firing on one. will not idle, little it will shakes to be damned. Put a dampener on an other wise PERFECT DAY. where do I start looking. I am afraid it jumped time. thats how it acts at least. if it is a major problem it will be 4 to 6 weeks before I can put in shop. At that point I am thinking of just getting a 1800cc 110ci engine and 6 speed gear box. Bike is an 05 ultra classic with 44k miles. just got it in April and have not put an abundance of miles on her. Any thought would be a big help. I do most work myself,that I feel good about doing with out complications.Thanks.Dale

Old 11-03-2012, 06:52 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't jump to conclusions, start with the simple stuff. Maybe a plug or wire went bad.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 AM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Search "crank position sensor".. I have heard of this happening to others.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:59 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sux, I'm not sure what it might be but as always start with fuel then fire and dig into it in small chunks. I'd probably call a few shops and see if they will give ya some ideas too.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Don't jump to conclusions, start with the simple stuff. Maybe a plug or wire went bad.
+1 on checking the plugs/wires - the symptom of running on one cylinder is what happened to me and it was a broken plug wire.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
No need to go in to Panic Mode..It could very well be an easy fix..44,000 is not a lot of miles..What is the maintenance history of the bike ? Have the cam chain tensioners been looked at or replaced ?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 AM
fdkennedy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought it at Carrollton Harley shop and have only put 2/3k miles on it. I have no idea of its history before I got it.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

check for codes first, that will get you in the right direction.....it sounds electrical to me...running fine and just dies....usually fuel problems will run weak or it will sputter before dying....look around and check all the plug connections..take them all apart and re-seat them all...also fuses...it could be something as simple as a frayed wire somewhere ...but first check for codes....

Old 11-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Duke 07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it is only firing on one cylinder as stated above. You may get off cheap here. Pull the plugs and see if she is firing on both. That is what I would do before taking it to the shop.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:32 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

mine did somthing like that and it turned out to be presure regulator in the fuel tank. not very many $ at all. dealer found problem and got it back next day. good luck.

Quick Reply: my bike is sick.