Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Pressure in Shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Outlaw7x77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I bought was my suspension pump from HD. I asked the guy at the parts counter the day I bought my FLHTCU..."Is there anything you can think of that I should not leave the store without?" He went over and took the pump off the shelf and said, "You'll need one of these." He was right, the pressure bleeds off after a few weeks and should be checked regularly. I have to open my bag on the left side and then it's easy to access.

Remember, your working with a very small amount of air volume. I mean it's not like your filling up a tire...all you are filling is the line plus a bit inside the shocks. The HD pump is perfect for the application. In fact it is designed for this application. To raise the pressure say four lbs it only takes maybe four strokes with the pump if that...so forget the bicycle pump it's a joke. I can tell by feel that it is a very small amount of air your pumping...bicycle pumps are made for high volume and high pressure...a bike tire is most of the time 65PSI but a lot of racing tires are 100-140PSI.

I own and operate a bicycle shop for a living and I can tell you straight up that the HD pump is first class quality. It works very good, easy to use, does not leak when disconnecting, and is easy to read...also has a deflation button if you happen to over inflate a bit.

Buying a cheap pump should not even be an option. HD price is $45...well worth the money...I keep mine in the Tour Pak in the aftermarket pocket storage bag...along with a small flashlight.

Honestly, I can't see why anyone thinks $45 is expensive. If you want a cheap pump one thing is for sure...it will always be a cheap pump. Like a nice wrench, every time you use it...it looks, and feels and works like nice tool. I really hate it when a customer comes back after buying a "CHEAP" pump and says it won't work...I have to demonstrate that it does work, just not like the good one. THey paid $14.99 for a pump that cost me $3 and they wonder why it is a POS. The good pumps I sell cost me $25 and I sell them for $45. I always reccomend the good pumps, but when they bawk, and I think I'll lose the sale, then I'll show them the cheap one. Think about it, I make more money selling crap...the problem is that it's a pain in the **** to have to explain why the cheap pump they bought works like a cheap POS. BUY THE FRIGGEN HD PUMP!!!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Everyone has great input here. The only thing I'd add is don't get hung up on what the owners manual says. You got to play with that thing and pump it up to thier suggested pressure. Then take it out and try it. Come back and if it didn't feel good enough, pump it some more until you get the ride you expect. My wife and I weigh about 285 together and I like it at 40 lbs. The HD Pump is great and worth the money.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:03 AM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The '07 specs must be different, because for my size (170#) the recommended pressure is 0-10 for the SG. The FLHRS and FLHX have different specs from the other bagger models, BTW. I have it set on 5# and am thinking about going to 0, as the rear suspension is a bit stiff, more than it needs to be. When loaded for touring I'll bump it up. The specs are in the owner's manual (p. 56), and these are for your FLHTCU and all except SG and RK Custom:

Solo, up to 150 lbs.: 0
Solo, 150-200 lbs.: 0-10
Solo, 200-250 lbs.: 5-15
2-up, passenger up to 150 lbs.: 10-15
2-up, passenger up to 200 lbs.: 20-25

Since you likely will never use pressures >30 psi, it would seem the 0-60 range is overkill. I have a Progressive pump I've had for 10 years, and is very similar to the HD model. It also cost $40 even back then, but it was about the only one available, as HD didn't offer one.
just happened to have this in my picture's This page is from my '03 manual which should be the same for '07

Attached Thumbnails  Air Pressure in Shocks???-air-pressure.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw7x77
The first thing I bought was my suspension pump from HD. I asked the guy at the parts counter the day I bought my FLHTCU..."Is there anything you can think of that I should not leave the store without?" He went over and took the pump off the shelf and said, "You'll need one of these." He was right, the pressure bleeds off after a few weeks and should be checked regularly.
Two thoughts:
1) If you are losing pressure after a few weeks, YOU HAVE A LEAK! I check mine a couple times a season and never lose a single pound. I have talked to many other guys in the area and they say the same thing.
2) All shocks are not the same and have a different max pressure, so be sure the numbers you are using are for your bike. It won't matter unless you are going over 35 pounds, but be aware and know YOUR equipment.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 AM
gmurdock
Tourer

I bought the pump. Used to ride at 25psi changed to 45psi for a trip with me and loaded with extras. Haven't changed it back like it the way it is.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Robert_W
Tourer

Are the recommended settings different for the '09 Standards from previous years? I have an '09 FLHTP, but there is no recommended setting for 2 up riding. I have mine set at 40 and it does feel firm.

Bob.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Tinmanpope
Tourer

Buy the pump and don't worry about it. I carry 20 for two up and I'm 250. It should say somewhere in the manual mine does. I purchased mine at Texan in Conroe Texas go outside to air them up and my buddy with a Ultra classic and he asked do you think I have air shocks on mine I had to LOL. His wife really liked the smoother ride from then on. Check it rather often especially when loading the bike down with wife and luggage.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i weigh 200# and use 20 psi solo. works just right for me on my streetglide. using the recommended pressure in the owners manual allowed the rear to bottom out the suspension on these g'damm oklahoma highways. don't cheap out on the pump, get the right one, it works. you can find used ones in the classifieds section. if you get the walmart small bicycle pump, you'll end up getting the good harley one later on. buy good quality once or buy junk several times.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 AM
rdunn22
Advanced

I agree with Morton10, Replace them. 0 psi or 50 psi they still don't work well. I replaced them with TerryCable shocks.

Last edited by rdunn22; 10-07-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 AM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have 07 Ultra ride 2up most of the time. I put 35-40 loaded up. 25 -35 solo or 2up. Best thing to do is get Harley pump works great and try different pressures until you find what you like best. Also keep it in original box it will last longer. By the way I have lowered shocks which require a little more pressure.

Quick Reply: Air Pressure in Shocks???