Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Pressure in Shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:33 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Pressure in Shocks???

Another option is to replece the crappy HD air shocks with either Works or Progressive 440 shocks. Either of these will dramatically improve the ride quality & are easily adjustable by hand with no tools required.

I replaced the stock shocks on my 04 RK Custom when it was one week old(I used 12" standard spring Progressive 440's)& sold the stock shocks on ebay for over $200, if I bought a new dresser tomorrow I would replace the shocks right off.

~John

Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have to remove the saddle bag to access the valve? I plan to get the pump and air up to about 20 pounds, but heard the bag has to come off to get the pump on the valve correctly.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stash

I have been trying to purchase an inexpensive air pump to regulate the pressure in my shocks. The Harley pump is $39.95 and has a 0-60psi measurement. I have seen others that are less money, but only have a 0-30 psi gauge. I looked in my manual, but could find no recommended air adjustments. I have never adjusted mine and never checked to see how much air I'm running. How much air is needed for average two-up running? Do I need to adjust for a trip where I'm carrying extra weight. How often are you guy's adjusting air pressure? Do I need a pump? Any recommendations?
The '07 specs must be different, because for my size (170#) the recommended pressure is 0-10 for the SG. The FLHRS and FLHX have different specs from the other bagger models, BTW. I have it set on 5# and am thinking about going to 0, as the rear suspension is a bit stiff, more than it needs to be. When loaded for touring I'll bump it up. The specs are in the owner's manual (p. 56), and these are for your FLHTCU and all except SG and RK Custom:

Solo, up to 150 lbs.: 0
Solo, 150-200 lbs.: 0-10
Solo, 200-250 lbs.: 5-15
2-up, passenger up to 150 lbs.: 10-15
2-up, passenger up to 200 lbs.: 20-25

Since you likely will never use pressures >30 psi, it would seem the 0-60 range is overkill. I have a Progressive pump I've had for 10 years, and is very similar to the HD model. It also cost $40 even back then, but it was about the only one available, as HD didn't offer one.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

You get what you pay for,Go with the HD pump

Old 01-30-2007, 01:59 PM
bluesgub
Cruiser

I run 10lbs. single, 18 double. Get the HD Pump. It's well made, has a built in gauge, designed for the application, and fits into your tool pouch. Designed for low pressure, low volume applications. Gas station pressure pumps are for high pressure.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluesgub

I run 10lbs. single, 18 double. Get the HD Pump. It's well made, has a built in gauge, designed for the application, and fits into your tool pouch. Designed for low pressure, low volume applications. Gas station pressure pumps are for high pressure.
Yeah, you can blow out your shocks if you try to use commercial compressors designed for tires that go far higher than is recommended. With so little volume, it doesn't take much time to over-pressure them.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Sreynold1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No yu do not need to remove the hard bag. You do have to open the lid to gain access.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 PM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Sreynold1

No yu do not need to remove the hard bag. You do have to open the lid to gain access.
Yup, easy as pie!, and recommend the HD pump, small and fits into the tool bag, and doesn't bleed air when connecting or disconnecting.

My '07 Ultra runs at 25lbs single up and 35lbs in 2-up full weight mode! Per manual (btw, we ain't no lightweights)

Old 01-30-2007, 04:27 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

In addition to all the good advice listed above, I would add that it depends on the kind of riding you are doing. When we (wife and I) are on the highway with loaded saddlebags, full tour pac, and extra bag on the carrier, we are adjusted for comfort -- about 20 lbs. air. Good ride, nice and smooth over the expansion joints and all the road imperfections. But when we get to the twisties and offload the luggage, I stiffen up the shocks for better response, less wallow in the corners, and quicker response on the overall handling of the bike.

Solo I ride with about 5-10 lbs. of air -- and I'm right at 200 lbs. Good overall setting....

Hope that helps!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif] and Get the HD pump!

Quick Reply: Air Pressure in Shocks???