Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

attention any one loss power highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:26 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: attention any one loss power highway

NO

Old 01-31-2007, 08:18 AM
ffb
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i went down yesterday and i appreciate your situation .
so here it goes.

i went down when a woman shot out of a driveway like a bullet and hit the car in front of me. i applied the brakes and the bike slid and went down on a long slide .i think that the rear tire lost traction ,maybe it locked, and ...
currently i and a few others are analyzing why i went down.

in your case ,

i have heard and know of this happening in ,sorry guy ,SAAB cars ,and it was due to a faulty ignition discharge cassette resulting in an immediate loss of power.
in your case , it appears that you had a faulty condition in your bike which the dealer said was resolved after working on it .
so you went out and tried to pass a car and lost power and off you went .

if your lawyer is trying to get info. and facts of similar cases in order to build up your case or to instigate a class action lawsuit ,it appears from the replies here that you have no such info.coming forth .

now, i assume that your lawyer and you have already checked the DOT or is it the NHSAT ? natl,highway safety administration, where such complaints are usually lodged and the the gvt. then .if many similar complaints are filed ,forces the mfr. to issue a recall,etc......

my two bits and sorry i could not be more helpful

ffb

Old 01-31-2007, 11:09 AM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Choo, I apologize that you are were so offended by my 1st statement about the accident its self being your fault but I think you need to be prepared for that assertion if/when you do decide to take legal action against Harley. I am in a fairly unique situation when it comes to analysing accidents and I can offer you a valid opinion on the matter, an opinion that you will most likely see again in court. I have logged over 500K miles riding and I am former track instructor for STT and a current roadracer. I have been involved with more than my fair share of single vehicle motorcycle accidents and I have seen numerous others. That experience gives me some insight but there is more. I also happen to be a police motor officer AND a traffic accident/traffic homocide investigator. I have been called as an expert witness in court countless times and have investigated a ton of similar incidents. Single vehicle accidents are attributed to operator error well over 90% of the time and rightly so. Now that said, I wasn't there to the document the location, topography, speed limit, traffic numbers at the time of the accident etc... but simply based on your version of how the accident happened I firmly believe that the accident resulted from your mistake(s) and not solely on a mechanical problem. You said that the bike would not accelerate and I can see that presenting a problem but that problem alone should have allowed you to slow down and reenter your lane behind the vehicle you were attempting to pass. The Harley shop didn't touch your brakes did they? Now if the rear wheel locked up due to a seizure of the motor and then you crashed my view would be different. Same could be said that if you were entering a corner and the bike stalled or something, that could upset the bike enough to affect its stability and could result in a crash but simply going straight and losing power? Your looking at an uphill battle. Even if there were several witnesses it's still going to be a tough battle, especially if you go after Harley. Now back to the motor issue, I would take the bike to an independent shop and have them disassemble the engine and document anything out of the ordinary. When I say anything I mean ANYTHING. Have the shop take pictures of the disassembly process as part of this documentation. If they see something wrong then work from there. If there is a problem with the engine I wish you luck getting it repaired. No luck wished regarding the accident though, I think people need to take responsibility for their own mistakes.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Coo Coo Cachoo,

For what it's worth I have an 06 and last year havin some fun with a few metrics upstate NY. It was a very long straight and steep uphill into headwind. We were doing about 85 mph and the metrics were pulling away from me.I had more throttle but it just wouldn't go anywhere. I didn't loose power, it just didn't go anywhere. It is fine on flats and downhill but I think we are asking a little too much from these pretty much stock bikes. We are always looking for more power. That's the nature of the game. I know what I can and can't do on this bike now and I have to kinda agree with Madav8tr when he stated that you still had a choice of braking and getting back into your lane. Ya gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em! If there is something physically wrong with your bike I hope you find it. Glad you are okay though.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

Coo Coo, did you down shift and still feel that the bike had no power. If your running uphill on a steep grade I will find it necessary sometimes to downshift. I have never experienced the complete loss of power you describe without being in the wrong gear for the type of terrian I was riding.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first I said uphille OR headwind, not both!
2nd. previous bikes: 98 road glide with 34 tooth transmission sprocket,
2001 flhtci, 2001 flhrpi and this bike when new (2006 flhtci)
Would pull a hill in 5th gear at 95 mph with ease.
The hill is on I-80 between laramie Wyoming and Cheyenne, Wyoming.
The main part of the hill is about 4 or 5 miles long and makes about a 1500 to 2000
foot uphill change in altitude.
Then one day in june 2006 (bike was about 8 months old and about 9000 miles on it)
would NOT pull the hill in 5th gear. and it used to do it a month earlier.
The problem has deteriorated more since then even AFTER to HD dealers said they found the problem and fixed it!
3rd. I had plenty of time to pass under normal conditions. I did NOT cut the other car off.
The bike accelerated fine up to 65mph coming around him. Then it refused to accelerate any faster and actually lost speed.
The car that was now behind me, for some reason had decided to speed up to the posted limit. He was expecting me to continue down the road. So did I!
But the sudden loss of power that was worse than before dealers had "fixed" it was unexpected. Thus the gap unexpected closed quicker than anticipated.
4th: I am Not asking for you silly *** opinions.
I asked for input from other people that have experienced the same loss of power in an 05/06/07 flhtci preferably but other HD's would be interesting too.
Because if there is a rash of these happening, it would be good to band together and contact HD.
A possible class action lawsuit could come about.
So instread of giving your silly *** opinions, be quiet if you don't have something positive to contribute about the problem.
I'm tired of hearing everybodies opinion of my fault.
None of you were there at the time. so back off!!
ORIGINAL: vegashd

Personally if you are going into a head wind and uphill like you stated at 65 in 5th gear you are not going to be accelerating ANYWHERE. Youll need to down shift into 4th.

As for the wreck. 100% your fault. No one would be coming up so fast that they cannot stop. If they were you shouldnt be cutting cars off.....

i stand by my first statment.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you even starting to get the impression that your issue is not prevalent nor relavent here, and your rambling responses are not gaining you any sympathy? Quit while you're ahead!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:37 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[Well here's the situation.
I posted the problem I;m having in two relevant forums touring because it's a touring bike.
And in the engine section because the loss of power is engine related, since the engine produces the power, although it couls be the ecm causing it.

I stated very clearly what was happening and when.
I asked for input from other people that have experienced the same.
Maybe find a fix, maybe not. But at the least if enough people admitted to the same
general problem, then we could band together as a group and contact HD.

But you along with several other people here went off track.
started giving your sill *** opinions about the possibility of the law suit and how it was my fault etc.
Well you know what theyy say about opinions, they're like a**holes, every one has one.
But I also asked people to contribute only positive helpful info.
So if you don't like the topic, scroll on by. Stop putting your worthless 2 cents in.
If you are not helping with a solution then you become part of the problem.
Have a good day where ever you are!

quote]ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Are you even starting to get the impression that your issue is not prevalent nor relavent here, and your rambling responses are not gaining you any sympathy? Quit while you're ahead!

[/quote]

Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

My 06' FLHTCI has no *****(working on H.P. upgrades as we speak), I figure it is just the Power to Weight ratio. My 06' Dyna Street Bob will fly out from underneath you....I have never had the EG Classic in for a power loss problem, you should state that there is a Lack of power that limits your driving ability....

Old 01-31-2007, 05:35 PM
budwfo
Road Captain

BTW---Both are stock except slip on pipes...

Quick Reply: attention any one loss power highway