Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Bar ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:44 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Newb Bar ?

I know that this has been probably talked to death and I used the search function, but I recently bought an Ultra and it has the lowers with the highway pegs that are right at the foot boards that don't really offer any relief and the Handlebar grips are just past my knees! I'm new to Touring bikes so maybe I just have to get used to it, but I feel boxed in after riding a cruiser with drag bars and highway pegs that I could stretch out and be comfortable!

I'm not dissing the the Ultra at all as I feel it's an awesome bike, especially for the lil woman that loves to ride in back!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of options to move everything to accommodate your preferred riding position. These bikes are designed to fit an average size person. It's all part of making it your own....

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it new?If not maybe the bars have been changed!!! How tall are ya? all kinds of options out there on bars and such or are you ok with bars and just curious about the highway pegs?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rich67
Is it new?If not maybe the bars have been changed!!! How tall are ya? all kinds of options out there on bars and such or are you ok with bars and just curious about the highway pegs?
It's an 04 and I was told that the original owner was a short guy. I'm about average height 5'11. Maybe I just have to move the bars forward. It's kind of funny, but maybe it's just me since I have a friend at work with the same bike and the highway pegs mounted on the engine guards in the same position. No relief for stretching out really.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Adjust the highway pegs where you want them. You may be able to move the bars forward as well.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

My hiway pegs are out far enough that a 6'1" guy couldn't reach them. I'm 6'5". Bars are stock, but rolled all the way forward.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

Great advice, guys! Now I just have to buy a manual for adjusting the bars. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the pegs. Love this site!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

It's easy to do once you have a feel for it. A manual would definitely eliminate the fear factor of the unknown. I removed the ignition switch and the switch panel, loosened the 2 bolts that were accessible, and pushed forward. The ignition switch gives some people fits. I've never had an issue with Mine, had it out a couple of dozen times, but there is a trick to it.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain

Thanks for the ideas. I'm not afraid of cracking open this beast as I've been a wrench on airplanes for close to 30 years. I just want to be precise since this is my first Harley and she really is a thing of beauty!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:18 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm an ase master auto tech. In the car biz for over 25 years. The service manual is a must have. If nothing else, great reference when the old noggin can't remember ****!

Quick Reply: Newb Bar ?