Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 flhtp electra glide, 103 ci

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM
WHITEOAKS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 flhtp electra glide, 103 ci

Can someone educate me as to why hd designed the exhaust system on this bike so that most of the exhaust flow goes out the right side. I see there is a "y" on the rear cylinder to supposedly direct some exhaust to the left side but from what i can tell about 75% of the exhaust and heat is directed out the right side. I just put on new chrome vance and hines twin slash round mufflers because the original right side stock muffler had a lot of heat discoloration. It appears to me that the rear cylinder pipe "y" is a waste unless there was supposed to be something installed that restricts some of the rear cyl exhaust from flowing to the right side. Is there simple solution to solve this problem? Thanks

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

True dual head pipe with matched slipons will solve it, A 2 into 1 system will solve it and improve performance. There is a company that used to sell a non Y pipe for the rear cylinder that directs only to the left muffler, it is not a matched head pipe, but does split the output volume of the exhaust. Harley also designs the stock mufflers to be different in design to counter act the imbalance.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

FullSac conversion, cheap and pretty simple. It rids that rearward down pipe and redirects the flow out the left side like it should.

Sounds much better, runs just as good.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:29 PM
WHITEOAKS
Intermediate
Thumbs up Whiteoaks

Thanks to both of you for your comments. Checked out the FullSac pipe conversion and looks like that would do the trick. Not really into the 2 to 1 for this bike. Does anyone else make a kit similar to the FullSac system?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Not that I know of. The Fullsac is cheap actually works well and looks good. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Malfunctional
Cruiser

B&E Performance that makes Super Flow mufflers has their version of the kit which is virtually identical. Website shows it's $139 for 95-06 & $169 for 07-08. I'll be getting the same kit when I can save some $$$ for it. And NO I don't work for them.

http://www.superflowmufflers.com/products.htm

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITEOAKS
Can someone educate me as to why hd designed the exhaust system on this bike so that most of the exhaust flow goes out the right side. I see there is a "y" on the rear cylinder to supposedly direct some exhaust to the left side but from what i can tell about 75% of the exhaust and heat is directed out the right side. I just put on new chrome vance and hines twin slash round mufflers because the original right side stock muffler had a lot of heat discoloration. It appears to me that the rear cylinder pipe "y" is a waste unless there was supposed to be something installed that restricts some of the rear cyl exhaust from flowing to the right side. Is there simple solution to solve this problem? Thanks
Yes, you could scrap the stock exhaust and go to TD's, but that will hurt performance, especially in the low-end. You aren't missing any restrictive piece that equals the exhaust flow, and if you installed one it would certainly hurt performance. I'm not sure if HD's design thrust was to create and exhaust that performs well or looks good, but it does perform well based on tests I've seen. For that reason I haven't replaced them.

Furthermore, several years ago when Fuel Moto did extensive testing on baffle design for slip-on mufflers they concluded that stopping up the left side even more helped performance across the board. In fact, it performs almost up to the level of a 2-into-1 system according to them. I've had 4" Jackpots on my bike for almost a year and the left side looks almost new with scant exhaust deposits, while the right side has a much darker tone.

I wouldn't worry about the inequality of exhaust flow, as I think you'll find that if performance is your priority you're in decent shape.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When my dyno tuner couldn't tune out the decel pop out with my stock head pipes he welded a washer in the left side to restrict it even more the id of the hole was 1/2 inch he tuned it again and my bike lost 5 ft lbs of tq can't remember hp lost but that left pipe does do something.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bagger rear "Y" pipe design goes back many years and as far as anyone knows, was done more for creating the dual exhaust look than anything else.
- due to the heat, most of the Y pipes eventually crack, mine did 2 times
- you can plug the LH pipe by driving a freeze plug or welding a big washer in the pipe
- I installed a V&H true duals set up
- many options for the exhaust on your bike