Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel light stays on, where is the problem? need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:57 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fuel light stays on, where is the problem? need help

So, could someone help me with this problem. I swap my gauges for CVO ones. I bought used small ones on ebay (french), new tachometer on ebay (US) and ordered speedometer for my mileage. I put dash off for amp wire at the same time.
Before swapping, everything was working well but now i've got the fuel gauge which seemed to work bad and fuel light always on. At last the fuel gauge don't stop when i shut off the bike.

- I take off fuel gauge to see if part number was good : yes
- I put old gauge on : same problem

Could someone help me finding what did i do wrong, where to look/check or where is the problem? Thanks for help

Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hav you tried refitting the original gauge, to check if everythng works fine? At some time Harley changed the characteristics of the fuel gauge and they are not backwards or forwards compatible, so if you have an older gauge, that is probably the problem.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hav you tried refitting the original gauge, to check if everythng works fine? At some time Harley changed the characteristics of the fuel gauge and they are not backwards or forwards compatible, so if you have an older gauge, that is probably the problem.
i refit original gauge, light stays on. For the characteristics, i was thinking it was a '08 and newer gauge but it's an '04 one, the one i need

Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 PM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

Might checkout the resistance on the fuel gauge and light. I read a couple posts about guys changing out 07 to 08 fuel tanks and getting that extra gallon and then having problems with the fuel gauge and light. Had something to do with the resistance on the gauge and light. They are posted in this in this forum. Should be able to look it up in search for 07 vs. 08 tank swap.

SugsPa

Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

Check this out. May be some info in there to help you. Hope you get your problem solved. Have to read through this post. I think it ended up having some to do with the speedometer. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel+tank+swap

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Since the original and the new gauge behave the same way, it looks like the "wire for wire" change got messed up somewhere. Do you have a wiring diagram to check color codes of wires to each item? It's hard to mess up a ground connection, either it goes to the frame or it doesn't. Have you checked for continuity between the frame and the end connected to your instruments? All that is left after that is to be certain the instrument end of the ground is connected to the correct location. If it goes to what should be the feed side of a gauge, you are going to ground through a resistor and everything will be confused.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SugsPa
Check this out. May be some info in there to help you. Hope you get your problem solved. Have to read through this post. I think it ended up having some to do with the speedometer. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel+tank+swap
Thanks for help but all parts are for working together. they are. I will swap my speedometer to see if the problem is still on. If so i hope i keep warranty on it. This speedometer was made for my mileage...

Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I remember reading somewhere on how to reset the mileage to empty function. It went something like, with the ignition and run switch on, pull the main fuse. Then push in on the trip meter button and hold it in while reinserting the main fuse with the ignition and run switch on. The speedometer should light up and appear frozen or locked up if you will. Release the trip meter button and turn the ignition off. Then turn the ignition on again and see if the light is out.

I don't know where I read this but it's worth trying.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wlibert
I remember reading somewhere on how to reset the mileage to empty function. It went something like, with the ignition and run switch on, pull the main fuse. Then push in on the trip meter button and hold it in while reinserting the main fuse with the ignition and run switch on. The speedometer should light up and appear frozen or locked up if you will. Release the trip meter button and turn the ignition off. Then turn the ignition on again and see if the light is out.

I don't know where I read this but it's worth trying.
I will try tomorrow. If it won't work maybe it's the speedometer fault. I found that tread on another forum : http://www.****************/forums/h...nt-go-out.html