Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO SG to CVO RG Conversion - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Thanks again everyone!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Subscribing, will come back to it. How much $$ in parts?
I posted the breakdown earlier in the thread, but after all is said and done, it's about $3500-$4000. The only work I didn't do myself was the paint. That includes Carlini bars, replacement cables, and a Hugger fender for the front. I also used all new parts.

It can be done for less, if you are patient and source used/take-off parts.

Last edited by Redbeard719; 01-18-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Thanks again everyone!

I posted the breakdown earlier in the thread, but after all is said and done, it's about $3500-$4000. The only work I didn't do myself was the paint. That includes Carlini bars, replacement cables, and a Hugger fender for the front. I also used all new parts.

It can be done for less, if you are patient and source used/take-off parts.
Hell that ain't bad at all. I got just under $1800 alone in my exhaust and tuner!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not like it hasent been said already but awesome work. It really looks great. For 3500 bucks non the less. Like the black headlight ring over the painted. Gives some nice contrast.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

VERY Nice Lookin RIDE, Congrats!!! Job well done!!!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:47 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Readbeard719

OK I know this is an older thread but I saw the 2010 FLHXSE in your sig and then thought "What's up with the fairing?" Then I realized you turned the SG into a RG and went looking for the thread (knew there had to be one). While I am partial to the SG (especially the 10 SESG ) You did an excellent job and made a stand out bike even more unique. Great job!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by JustDennis
Readbeard719

OK I know this is an older thread but I saw the 2010 FLHXSE in your sig and then thought "What's up with the fairing?" Then I realized you turned the SG into a RG and went looking for the thread (knew there had to be one). While I am partial to the SG (especially the 10 SESG ) You did an excellent job and made a stand out bike even more unique. Great job!

Thanks JustDennis! I really appreciate the kind words, and the fact that you went digging to find my conversion thread.

Its fun to see the looks when I come across people that know what they're actually looking at. And in all honesty, I was a little unsure if converting was the right move - but now, after at least 5k miles post-op, I am certain it was the perfect decision. I FINALLY have the bike how I want it!!

FWIW, I still think that the Spiced Rum SESG is one of the prettiest colors that HD ever put out. Something about that bright pinstripe on the dark paint....

Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Kilika41
6th Gear
Default Wire Harness Replace or Not

Redbeard719, I've gotten the best information from you on this build. I have all the parts for the SG to RG conversion and am getting ready to do a mock-up prior to paint (a lesson learned from you

I only have one question. Do I need to purchase the RG Fairing wire harness? I read that you only need to extend the Tach & Speedo wires? I'd rather do that than spend another $400. Having said that, at this point, if it makes sense to do that due to other quirks then so be it.

Your "all-in costs" is spot on. I got the inner/outer fairings, tach/speedo housing via ebay. Was simpler and more accurate to buy mounts, bolts, etc from HD. Ya, for sure I am in to it for around $4K after parts, paint, beer and pizza. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 121 Likes on 91 Posts
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Kilika41
6th Gear

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX

Thanks for this. I have read this and sure enough they mentioned the wire harness. Others have mentioned that they were able to modify the SG loom. Was just wondering what had to be.if it could be done. After you spend this much money, you just start to tell yourself to get the last part and call it a day.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kilika41
Redbeard719, I've gotten the best information from you on this build. I have all the parts for the SG to RG conversion and am getting ready to do a mock-up prior to paint (a lesson learned from you

I only have one question. Do I need to purchase the RG Fairing wire harness? I read that you only need to extend the Tach & Speedo wires? I'd rather do that than spend another $400. Having said that, at this point, if it makes sense to do that due to other quirks then so be it.

Your "all-in costs" is spot on. I got the inner/outer fairings, tach/speedo housing via ebay. Was simpler and more accurate to buy mounts, bolts, etc from HD. Ya, for sure I am in to it for around $4K after parts, paint, beer and pizza. Thanks for your help.
Thanks! I'm glad that my build was able to help you out!

I honestly don't know if you NEED to buy the RG harness. I did get the specific harness, but I suppose you could extend wiring where needed. I wanted it in factory form personally, but see no reason.

If you do pick up the RG harness, it is called the interconnect harness. For me it was worth the money not to have to deal with more wiring than necessary, just because I didn't feel like it. Doing the apes gave me my fill!

Quick Reply: CVO SG to CVO RG Conversion - with pics