Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in-lbs torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harbor Freight "Pittsburgh" brand. Don't get the electronic kind unless you do a lot of wrenching or are a pro. Like Glockmeister said, most mechanics tighten bolts by feel. My Dad built a gajillion car engines and I never saw him use a torque wrench.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Thickraybans
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I work as an inspector, part of my job is calibration of gauging equipment. I can tell you that the ratchet style t-wrenches that Harbor Freight sells are terrible. Spend the money to get a quality wrench like a Snap-on etc.
Some auto parts stores will lend, or rent a quality wrench if you're only going to use it once.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I picked up one from
Amazon Amazon
but I have no idea if it's worth it or not. I figured if I use it left handed with just two fingers holding it, maybe it will be close enough. Click on the amazon link and see what you think.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last time I was at Sears they had several types of inch/pound wrenches. I can’t recall if their inch wrenches went that low. I have an inch wrench and it starts out at 30 and goes up to (I think) 120 inch pounds. Anytime I get something that dictates less than 30 inch pounds I simply “judge” the pressure (basically snug down the screws/bolts to where they just hit and then slightly give them a little more). I think you just need to be smart and not get carried away. I just went through this with the brake master cylinder covers (I believe they were something like 18-20 inch pounds).

Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If the torque on a nut is 96 inch lb.if you divided it by 12 = 8 ft. lbs, would this work.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lgenf
harbor freight

they are on sale for $19.99 right now, grab your favorite American Iron or Baggers mag and go get one

or just use some lock-tite
I have one of those, good wrench.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:09 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by harley#1
If the torque on a nut is 96 inch lb.if you divided it by 12 = 8 ft. lbs, would this work.
Correct , however, try finding a ft. lb. torque wrench that will go that low.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:14 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

A good review of the Harbor Freight Torque Wrench.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Hilarious!!!

There are things that I will buy cheap, but a torque wrench is not one of them. Most tools it either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't you know it. How are you going to verify that a torque wrench is actually torquing right? Yes, you can get them calibrated, but it ain't cheap.

Digital will cost too much for a garage guy and may need calibration too much. Bar type probably keeps it's calibration best. I use a bar type I borrow from my Dad for in. lbs. Have thought about buying my own but not sure what to buy. After checking prices on pros (Snap-On, Matco, Mac) I went to Sears with an idea of what the Sears one should cost. Sears price blew my mind and still using my Dad's. Think I'm going to buy a Snap-On at some point.

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
A good review of the Harbor Freight Torque Wrench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnIMxo2r2zs

Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Thickraybans
I work as an inspector, part of my job is calibration of gauging equipment. I can tell you that the ratchet style t-wrenches that Harbor Freight sells are terrible. Spend the money to get a quality wrench like a Snap-on etc.
Some auto parts stores will lend, or rent a quality wrench if you're only going to use it once.
AGREE - my Pittsburgh from HF was pure junk & ended up in the metal scrap bin. If you're a "weekend warrior" vs. pro mechanic - Sears is one of the recommended tool sources (cheap & semi-decent quality). No need to spend over $100 for good torque wrench.

Quick Reply: in-lbs torque wrench