Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Removal ...Best Way?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013 | 09:35 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Matt0987
"Anti seize"? Who makes this? Where does it go on the axle?
Don't pay any mind to Wakko. Yes, you can get it at a Auto Parts Store and you apply it to the axle before sliding it back into the wheel. Makes it easy to remove the next time around. Don't get sloppy with it as it only takes a thin coating.

Old 01-11-2013 | 10:45 AM
Wakko47
Road Warrior

Yeah, I was kidding.

Old 03-26-2013 | 01:25 AM
ITOLDU
Road Captain

Subscribed, will be doing this later today!

Old 03-26-2013 | 01:57 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ITOLDU
Subscribed, will be doing this later today!
You are the first response since - 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm thinkin you may have subscribed just to get a notification every time some one like me wants to be a smart ***...

Old 03-26-2013 | 05:05 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by fat daddy
Why take the shocks loose ?
So the swing arm will pivot down and the axle can slide out under the exhaust. In some cases, it's easier to remove one shock bolt on each side and do this as opposed to removing the muffler. Carbon build up can make them difficult to get off sometimes (the muffler).

I have a 2 into 1 pipe, so when I did my first tire change I reversed the rear axle so the 36mm nut was on the left side (the side without an exhaust). That way, I can adjust belt tension with a 36mm socket and torque wrench because there isn't a pipe in the way.

I use a Pit bull jack when I change tires so all I do is raise the bike until the rear tire is barely in contact with the ground. I loosen a shock bolt on each side and remove them. Then I jack the bike up until the axle clears the bottom of the muffler. I slide the axle out, stick a shock bolt back in and raise the bike and the wheel stays on the ground. I reverse the process for install. I don't have to fight the wheel out or in while holding it up and trying to get all the spacers aligned correctly. I do take the rear brake caliper off during the process (in and out).

It probably isn't that way in the service manual but that's how an Ohio redneck does it

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-26-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2013 | 09:14 AM
yowflhtk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
So the swing arm will pivot down and the axle can slide out under the exhaust. In some cases, it's easier to remove one shock bolt on each side and do this as opposed to removing the muffler. Carbon build up can make them difficult to get off sometimes (the muffler).

I have a 2 into 1 pipe, so when I did my first tire change I reversed the rear axle so the 36mm nut was on the left side (the side without an exhaust). That way, I can adjust belt tension with a 36mm socket and torque wrench because there isn't a pipe in the way.

I use a Pit bull jack when I change tires so all I do is raise the bike until the rear tire is barely in contact with the ground. I loosen a shock bolt on each side and remove them. Then I jack the bike up until the axle clears the bottom of the muffler. I slide the axle out, stick a shock bolt back in and raise the bike and the wheel stays on the ground. I reverse the process for install. I don't have to fight the wheel out or in while holding it up and trying to get all the spacers aligned correctly. I do take the rear brake caliper off during the process (in and out).

It probably isn't that way in the service manual but that's how an Ohio redneck does it
Hey, the advice from someone that has actually done this is worth 10x the advice from those that have only read about it, even if it comes from an Ohio redneck. There is no shortage of armchair mechanics here, so your feedback is much appreciated.

.........martin

Old 03-26-2013 | 09:49 AM
ITOLDU
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Def Mute
You are the first response since - 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm thinkin you may have subscribed just to get a notification every time some one like me wants to be a smart ***...
Not really BM, I don't want to have to search for it again in case I need to refer to it here shortly. Excuse me I meant DM , just remember I have some smarty pants in my closet to!

Old 04-10-2013 | 11:03 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nomadmax

When you are doing this at what point are you removing the belt form the rear?

Old 04-10-2013 | 11:12 AM
djaudette
Road Master

08 and up can remove brake caliper and pads without taking the wheel off.

Old 04-10-2013 | 01:51 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by 2ropes
When you are doing this at what point are you removing the belt form the rear?
Once the axle is out I just push the wheel forward until there's slack in the belt. I take it off the pulley and take the rear wheel out. A lot of times the spacers will just fall on the floor when the axle comes out and I take pulley off the wheel and leave the belt on it (IDS).

I have spare wheels so when I change tires I already have a set ready to go. After the bike is back together I have 10K miles or so to look over the bearings and mount new tires.