Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Removal ...Best Way?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012 | 12:10 PM
cwieland
Stage II

I have a bit more of a challenge. I have a side car that I need to deal with. So I am interest in how high the bike needs to be to get the rear wheel out. Are you folks raising the bike so the wheel rolls right out, it doesn't seem like the bike lift would even go high enough for that. Or is a finesse it out back sideways upside down sorta thing?

Old 11-27-2012 | 12:37 PM
glcash
Road Warrior

Subscribed

Old 11-27-2012 | 05:11 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by cwieland
Or is a finesse it out back sideways upside down sorta thing?
You got that right! Sneak up on it so you can get just enough headroom.

Old 12-02-2012 | 09:00 PM
cwieland
Stage II

Originally Posted by grbrown
You got that right! Sneak up on it so you can get just enough headroom.
so how high do you need to get the bike to get the wheel out?

Old 12-02-2012 | 10:55 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

I have never measured it but I would guess 8"-10" or just enough to clear the rear fender and roll out. When reinstalling the wheel just reverse the process and once the wheel is under the fender you simply lower the lift until the axle hole lines up with the axle. This is really pretty simple if you have a good lift to use. If not, I can see where it could be a little dicey.

Old 12-03-2012 | 03:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

To some degree that depends on model, as things like rear pulley width has changed over the years, also brake calipers have. They influence how much wriggle space we have! Having removed the axle and disengaged the belt you can roll the wheel rearwards a little and lift the bike so it clears the rotor or pulley, then slide the wheel out sideways from the bottom.

Retrop sounds to have got that height about right, but it will become obvious as you do it! We can describe it until the cows come home, but doing it is the final learning stage.

Last edited by grbrown; 12-03-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2012 | 07:09 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member

VERY GOOD POINTS!

Originally Posted by Kenney
... don’t forget that once you “drop” the rear tire your removing a Lot of weight and could over balance the bike on the lift. ...
Originally Posted by fat daddy
Also you might want to block up the front. Wheel so when you take the weight off the rear it will remain steady.
Has any one had issues with the brake pads holding on to the brake rotor while taking the back tire off?

I know I have had to compress the piston to get the wheel caliper off to change pads. I would think you need to compress the caliper to allow the pads to be loose enough to release the rotor for dis-assembly. It should be as simple as a small tool between the rotor and the pad to expand the opening by pressing the pads back against the wheel caliper.

Old 12-03-2012 | 07:20 AM
fat daddy
Road Master

Not sure what year your bike is but on my 2011 sg I take the caliper off before I remove wheel. You just have to massage it a little but it will come off.

Old 12-03-2012 | 08:00 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by clarkchriston
Oh yeah and the manual probably says to disconnect the battery too. Going to replace my rear tire in the next few weeks too. Let us know how it turned out.
Thats funny but probably true. Thats from a liability standpoint. Someone probably forgot something once upon a time, fired it up, damaged something or someone, so many tech pubs probably begin with "remove battery cable"..........

I work with machines, and people would be amazed at the safeguards we are required to put in place to deal with operators. Many times a week I ask the question, "really", its just to bad common sense can't be taught...

With the manual my 1st time of rear tire R&R was about 2 hours. Next time it will be quicker I suspect.

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:15 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=VTL nut;10620575]Thats funny but probably true. Thats from a liability standpoint. Someone probably forgot something once upon a time, fired it up, damaged something or someone, so many tech pubs probably begin with "remove battery cable"..........

Too funny, but how true. What with all the product liability concerns today can you imagine a lawyer writing a comprehensive safety manual for how to have sex?
At least a ten pound manual, twelve if it had pix.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Removal ...Best Way?