Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Searching for the perfect touring GPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Searching for the perfect touring GPS

Hello. I'm searching for a new GPS unit to use on my bike, but I'm having trouble finding one that has all the features that I want. The three features that I want (in order of most wanted) are 1) custom route planning, 2) lifetime map updates, and an 3) mp3 player. I currently have a TomTom GO730, that has an mp3 player, but not lifetime maps or custom route planning. When I say I want custom route planning what I mean is that I want the ability to plan routes on my computer and/or the GPS so I can take specific roads. I don't have this ability on the GO730. If I could put in more than one via point in between my travel points then I could work around not having the custom route planning feature, but I can only do one via point between travel points. Anybody got a suggestion?

Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

You'll have to go with a Garmin to get all that you want.

http://sites.garmin.com/zumo/

Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really like my zumo 665 with handlebar mount. Really my only complaint is the price.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Cwboyscooby
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste money on the ZUMO!!! There are several Garmin models that do everything you need in the $100 range.

With several Garmins, you can use the online trip planner to route your trip and download to your GPS. Much easier that way if you are going cross country with several stops or POI's.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM
JohnTM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Zumo 665. Very pricey. I do not use the weather function. Expensive subscription and hard to see weather on screen. Don't like the songs on the mini scan disk hard to find selections. I use it just for the visual turn by turn, trip planning, points of interest. For music I carry my iPhone with ear buds and listen to Pandora radio.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Android
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an Android phone? You can get everything you need from it.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:34 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Something to remember. When using a smart phone, how many times do you drop a call? Now when you go out in rural areas if you do not have a phone service you will not have GPS service since smart phone runs on cell service.

True GPS uses 24 satalites around the earth. At any given time it can see approx 7 sat and only need 2 to locate you and 3 to locate you within a few feet. The GPS just needs to see the sky to work.

I have one that will pick me up inside my house approx. 50% of the time and track me inside walking through the house. It has a very sensitive antenna.

I am out in the country and I know many locations out here dont have phone service. Just something to think about.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Android
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Now when you go out in rural areas if you do not have a phone service you will not have GPS service since smart phone runs on cell service.
Just not true anymore. Many new smartphones are true GPS units. TYhey do not rely on 3G or cell phone coverage to pick a GPS they do require a clear view of the sky but they work very good.

I have an I-phone but I realize Iphone service in the US is very expensive. But Android phones will do everything you want and then some for a fraction of the cost and you have a gadget that is not just a GPS mounted on a bike but a practical piece of electronics that gives you more.

I connect my I-phone to my radio on my Street Glide and also it is connected via bluetooth to my headset. I can decide whichever way I want to go with it. I get turn by turn directions, plan routes, listen to my favorite Music APP and make and recieve calls without touching the handset on my handlebar.

It is the best.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Just wondering, Android. Do you, by any chance sell Android Phones?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Android
Just not true anymore. Many new smartphones are true GPS units. TYhey do not rely on 3G or cell phone coverage to pick a GPS they do require a clear view of the sky but they work very good.

I have an I-phone but I realize Iphone service in the US is very expensive. But Android phones will do everything you want and then some for a fraction of the cost and you have a gadget that is not just a GPS mounted on a bike but a practical piece of electronics that gives you more.

I connect my I-phone to my radio on my Street Glide and also it is connected via bluetooth to my headset. I can decide whichever way I want to go with it. I get turn by turn directions, plan routes, listen to my favorite Music APP and make and recieve calls without touching the handset on my handlebar.

It is the best.
Well thats great news. Glade they were greatly improved within the last month. Buddy came by last month and was trying to show me a location on his iPhone 4S/GPS and was unable to get it to show what he wanted. He was trying to show me something in the woods where he hunts. Claims it works great never had problems before using it.

Quick Reply: Searching for the perfect touring GPS