Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium tour pack hinges and latches

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cochon
....and don't do any mind altering substances before or during the install. Wait until after it is all done. Trust me on this one!
It is a one beer job, but don't open it until you are done.

Although I did mine by myself, a second person is recommended.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM
talon0930
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a set of these Premium Tour-Pak hinges on over the weekend. My tour-pak rattled ALOT which was driving me nuts. The old hinges were very loose at the factory rivets, I tried a few different things to "tighten" them up but nothing helped. Dealer gets an hour labor to put new ones on @ 80 bucks plus parts, so buying a set of upgraded hinges which look so much better and are much more stable for 45 was a no brainer. Job was really simple, an extra set of hands would have been helpful but like most....I'm impatient. I have the added Harley spoiler on my tour-pak too which I did not want to disconnect....so it made it a bit harder to handle the lid while drilling but was I made it work. End result, I would recomend these to anyone. I also added the retractable tour-pak tether as well, heard good and bad about it but since I was working on the lid, figured I would freshen that up too. Looks good, and no more reaching in every time I close the lid to "tuck it in".

Next on the agenda while I am back there is replacing the weatherstrip this week which I also picked up this weekend. I am also considering attempting to paint the inside of the tour-pak since it looks a bit dated and crappy. It is fiberglass, so I am not sure yet how I am going to go about it but I'd like to spray the inside of lid a darker grey, and part of the bottom as well. I will be eventually putting a newer style insert in the bottom so I think if I sprayed the top and the edges of the bottom, it will look a bit nicer. I'm open to suggestions if anyones painted the inside of any of their older style fiberglass paks.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I collected a new chopped tour pack at the weekend - I have blown the picture up a little so that they are clearly visible and I think they look a heck of a lot better.

I'll confess I let the dealer do the assembly though..

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM
yowflhtk
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Krow
When replacing the POS stock hinges, make sure you have an extra pair of hands to hold things in place while you're remounting the lid. Surprised nobody else has mentioned this.
If you follow the instructions, you won't need an extra set of hands.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yowflhtk
If you follow the instructions, you won't need an extra set of hands.
I didn't have a lot of faith in the directions but I followed them anyway. I was a little scared but everything went fine which surprised me.

I did the hinges then later on I did the latches. It looks much better now.

I wasn't real crazy about the push button latches but they're growing on me and I like them OK now.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Did the hinges on mine Sunday, and an extra pair of hands came in handy when aligning the lid back to the new hinges.

Wife and I don't work well together on projects like this, but she managed to hold the lid straight while I aligned the hinges and got the screws started. LOL

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM
blazink5
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup...I did the Hinges also...what a major difference. Very very simple upgrade...Just take a bit of time and patience. Had the wife help out.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM
JOW_103
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the look of the new hinges and latches. I bought my bike in November of 2013 so really didn't ride it much due to the New England winters. Got back on the bike in early spring and after a few weeks of riding, one of my stock latches came off in my hands. I had already bought the new latches but this kind of reinforced my idea it's a good idea to replace them.

I like the push button much better than the stock. Gives a nice positive feel when you close the lid and it's easier to handle. Good investment IMHO

Old 08-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Put them on my '01. said they wouldn't fit but they did. Dremmel is the way to go and an extra hand is a must. the pins have a little slop and rattle. Gonna put a extra bit of weatherstrip in to take out the slop. Hardly ever put the TP on. Wife rides a Deluxe... and can carry all her own stuff. Need a different pad without the armrests.

Last edited by Razorback; 08-07-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 PM
kwoozn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely love the hinges, cringe everytime I see the stock $1.98 Home Depot hinges on a bike and feel obligated to point out the upgrade. Surprising, those who don't know about the upgrade.
Push button latches?
Crap.....I knew it, every time I come in here I spend more $$$ will look into them.
On the teather....caution, I had mine some how get wrapped around itself and only allowed about 3-4" access to the inside. Suckey part was that was where my helmet was! The nanny state I live in requires me to wear it! Was finally able to get into it. One and only time it happened. Still like it.
I just recently added the lock cover....cleans up the look also!

Quick Reply: Premium tour pack hinges and latches