Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with stereo issue please....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012 | 08:45 AM
2011BDSG103
|
Tourer
Default Help with stereo issue please....

Okay.... The other day I went to leave for work and my stereo was putting out no sound. Looked like there was nothing wrong as it powered up just fine. I turned the bike off and then back on and I had my music back. Since then I have had the same problem a couple of other times. It would also go away while riding, I turn ignition off and back on and again it is working just fine. I know things can work themselves loose with all the vibrations, but it makes no sense that turning it off and back on without ever moving the bike would cause it to work. Plus there is no sound of it cutting in and out while moving as would normally happen with a loose speaker wire. Has somebody else had this problem before? What is causing it? For the time being I am thinking about removing my fairing and pulling all connections off and back on. Maybe reseating things will help.

Old 10-27-2012 | 08:52 AM
LA VIC
Road Master

Did you try cycling the speaker rocker switch when this happens? Pulling the fairing and checking all connections is a good idea and pretty easy.

Old 10-27-2012 | 08:53 AM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior

Unfortunately, its most likely a bad radio, the harmon kardon radios are very notorious for breaking the board in them, hence the reason it cuts out and I'm sure it plays fine while the bike is not running or moving, this is usually promoted by a broken fairing mount or rider bolt rubbing the case, do a search here and you'll realize you're not the only one this has happened too, if you decide to fix it, iron cross audio gives a warranty and does a good job, good luck , chad

Old 10-27-2012 | 09:00 AM
2011BDSG103
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by gsxrboy96
Unfortunately, its most likely a bad radio, the harmon kardon radios are very notorious for breaking the board in them, hence the reason it cuts out and I'm sure it plays fine while the bike is not running or moving, this is usually promoted by a broken fairing mount or rider bolt rubbing the case, do a search here and you'll realize you're not the only one this has happened too, if you decide to fix it, iron cross audio gives a warranty and does a good job, good luck , chad
Actually..... It is just as bad when not moving sometimes. The first time I had it happen was first thing in the morning before I left for work. The evening prior it worked just fine. Hadn't moved an inch.

Old 10-27-2012 | 09:01 AM
2011BDSG103
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Did you try cycling the speaker rocker switch when this happens? Pulling the fairing and checking all connections is a good idea and pretty easy.
I don't have a speaker switch as I only have a Street Glide with no extras.

Old 10-27-2012 | 09:12 AM
Airborne Limited
Supporter

You could try updating the radio's firmware. Go to this this address for more info: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...io-system.html