Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to park trailier around sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012 | 01:40 AM
bruce sg08
|
Road Captain
Default where to park trailier around sturgis

Flame on, there touring bikes meant to be riddenn, etc... I know I know would love that but I like even better riding with my dad and he just doesn't have it in him anymore. 3000 miles round trip just to get there and back. Planning to leave late may into the first week of june. Can't talk him into the party at the rally or the heat at that time of the year. but we really want to see the sites. Thinking of calling the dealer ship to see if they will let us park our truck and trailer there for 8 days. Anybody had experience with this, who would you call?

Old 10-26-2012 | 01:47 AM
lumper
Road Master

It is 3700 miles round trip for me so I understand although I am riding it.
When my wife comes with me on a log trip and I worry about her or she isnt confident, we put her bike in the back of my truck and I ride, and she drives.
I dont like to mis the experience and we still travel together. then when we get there and unload we ride together until we go home again.

As far as where to park your trailer, where are you staying?
If you are staying at the blue chip or full throttle you can check with them about outer lots for trailers, I am sure there are a lot of them out there.

Its nice you can ride with your dad, thats cool, I never got to do that.

I would look online, google it I bet you get an answer in 5 minutes.
There are a ton of pages of info about sturgis and everything to do with it including where to park.

Good luck
Lump

Old 10-26-2012 | 06:31 AM
williamfrog
Road Captain

Check average weather,cool to cold, hit snow middle May up at at Rushmore .Also hit snow in Yellowstone after Sturgis. The park wasn't all open because off it.

Old 10-26-2012 | 07:10 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

If you base out of a motel for the time that you are there, they should be able to accomodate your rig. You might also try self storage lots.

As for trailering, you don't owe anyone an explanation. "It's not the destination, it's the ride to get there" is bullshit. That doesn't always apply to everyone. Often times, it is the destination that counts. Just get there and ride your *** off.

Old 10-26-2012 | 08:43 AM
mtbottles
Tourer

Ask the place you are staying at. While in Flagstaff last year, stayed at a KOA. We asked if we could leave our truck and trailer a few days. They just pointed to a side lot with other large RV's and trailers. Just asked that we leave room for others to get their trailers out.

Old 10-26-2012 | 08:49 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior

Although my dad rode his trike up last year, when we got back he said he would have to do a trailor next year but I could still ride. You do what you have to do for family and owe no one an explanation.

Old 10-26-2012 | 09:22 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Try Lake Park Campground http://lakeparkcampground.com/ on the South edge of Rapid City. They have nice cabins (all the amenities) and wide parking spots beside the cabins.

Ask for a cabin with a carport when you call to reserve. Black Hills hail. Need I say more?

Old 10-27-2012 | 08:39 PM
GoofySB
Tourer

At a trailer park? I couldn't resist

Old 10-27-2012 | 09:48 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Lots and lots of campgrounds.
Doubt if BH-HD will let you camp there.
They ain't like Walmart ya know..

Old 10-28-2012 | 12:25 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

You came to the right place brother! I'm originally from Pittsburgh and live in Rapid City about 30 miles down the interstate from Sturgis. I don't have a lot of property but there is a lot of empy lots around my house. My old man parks his avalance and trailer here every year during the rally and it's fine. I'm currently deployed overseas but will be back in April so I'll be home. But there's plenty of rooms in hotels that time of the year so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say 2 weeks before and after the rally the parking lots are packed with trailers but not May/June. That's usually the time for tourists but they stay in Rapid. Just let me know what you think and send me a PM if you want to know anything about it there. Last May it was already beautiful riding weather even in the hills but the year before it was cold and rainy/snowy so keep an eye on weather.

Quick Reply: where to park trailier around sturgis