Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno results with duals to 2-1. Shocking!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice to see data and not just opinions based on commercial advertising.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
If you look closely the 2:1 did make "more" torque; maybe not a higher peak value, but it came on a little earlier and carried out a little further than the dual, so a wider torque band means more total torque across the RPM range. I was kind of surprised to see it carry further. Besides the WOT representation here, I would be curious as to the overall performance and drivability comparison at the lower operating range. While the results presented here may seem compelling, they should be considered carefully, the RB pipe has relatively short primary tubes as compared to the duals, and the low/mid 48 cam will respond better to the longer primary system. Do the same comparison with a mid/high cam and performance will lean in the favor the RB pipe. It would be interesting to see what a long primary 2:1 produces on the same bike, like the Fat Cat or Dragos. Even if another pipe produced better results, it still wouldn’t mean that pipe is the best for all bikes, it just worked best on that particular bike. The topic of exhaust is an emotional one for most, not all duals are the same and not all 2:1s are the same, you have to break down the details of the design of an individual system and match it to your cam, displacement, and riding style, too bad those critical details are not published by most manufacturers. Unfortunately most people buy their exhaust based on appearance and sound, with performance being the last priority. A lot of people want to believe the duals are better but there is simply no denying the performance benefit of scavenging achieved by a merge collector, no matter how you slice it. Is it possible that a specific bike can produce better results with a particular dual system than with another particular 2:1 system, sure? With all the variances in primary tube diameter and length, let alone muffler characteristics, it is nearly impossible to have a fair comparison among different production systems. Finding the "perfect" exhaust for your bike is a challenge for sure and one that usually takes a lot of trial and error and wasted money, regardless if your exhaust priority is appearance, sound, or performance.
Very well put! Yes the Torque curve did change for the better. I noticed that as well. 2600-2700 rpm it appears to make around 3 ft lbs more.
I wondered what a Drago or V&H pro pipe would do on the dyno, just to compare. But I'm happy with what I have, and done spending money "just to see what happens"!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Who did your tune?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 PM
MichiganRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Who did your tune?
Torq Monster Motorworks in Port Huron. Can't say enough good things about them.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:30 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

From what Ive read in a lot of places the Rinehart extremes true duals make good power, I wonder what the differance might have been with a different headpipe true dual going to a 2-1? The Rinehart extreme have a larger diameter headpipe compaired to most other headpipes. Thtas why even though the pipe covers my oil and trans fill ports I havent traded to a different exhaust. Enjoy your new 2-1, does it at least feel stornger? Hows the sound compaired to the duals?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM
MichiganRider
Tourer

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
From what Ive read in a lot of places the Rinehart extremes true duals make good power, I wonder what the differance might have been with a different headpipe true dual going to a 2-1? The Rinehart extreme have a larger diameter headpipe compaired to most other headpipes. Thtas why even though the pipe covers my oil and trans fill ports I havent traded to a different exhaust. Enjoy your new 2-1, does it at least feel stornger? Hows the sound compaired to the duals?
Bike feels better after the tune. It was real lean with the new pipe. Throttle response feels good. New exhaust is a little louder then the duals. It's more free flowing for sure. Makes sense because it was so lean.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganRider
Torq Monster Motorworks in Port Huron. Can't say enough good things about them.
Interesting, I've heard good things about them too.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

I'd be curious to see how the #'s for a ProPipe
or a Thunderheader would compare.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
If you look closely the 2:1 did make "more" torque; maybe not a higher peak value, but it came on a little earlier and carried out a little further than the dual, so a wider torque band means more total torque across the RPM range.
That's the key to all of this, the 2-1 did do what it was suppose to do in this situation, but as has been mentioned, the Xtreme Rinehart system has been known to be a good performer for TD's.

I have found out something similar in my quest to an answer of a question on my own: Which is better, a 103 with heads and cams, or a 107 with cams and stock heads?

What I am finding is, while the cost of both are very similar, and the "peak" numbers are similar, the range of the Torque on the 107 setup is broader than the 103 setup, someone please correct me if I am wrong.

A dyno sheet is just a representation of how the bike was running that day, in those ambient weather conditions, at a given location. It's more important to look at the sheet and see how it matches your riding style rather than focus on "peak" numbers.

There are a lot of guys charging people a lot of money for dyno tuning just to show them good numbers at WOT, peak numbers. Few people (although they are out there) will tune your bike in the places you use most (i.e.: not WOT). I still have yet a lot to learn about all of this, but this quest for power and doing it the right way, has been very educational. It serves people well to educate themselves when embarking on all of this performance stuff, if not you can very easily get taken for a ride, or be sold a setup that someone may like to build, but does not necessarily match the way "YOU" ride.

Just my $0.02
FM

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
I'd be curious to see how the #'s for a ProPipe
or a Thunderheader would compare.
Me, too. Something is off here....

Quick Reply: Dyno results with duals to 2-1. Shocking!