Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me with my monotube install!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tazman509
Fenderzig: I am getting ready to do this mod in a couple of months. I have been debating on doing it myself or having it done at the dealership when I get my service done. I am going to do it in conjunction with chrome fork lowers and new wheel package. I am sure the dealer labor cost will not be cheap. Approximately how long and difficult is this to accomplish fot the average guy. I am not a mechanic but have can find my way around the garage. Any idea how many hours this calls for at the dealership? Also, let us know how the ride is effected once you get a few miles with the new setup. Thanks.
Most shops charge 4 hrs labor

Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tazman509
Fenderzig: I am getting ready to do this mod in a couple of months. I have been debating on doing it myself or having it done at the dealership when I get my service done. I am going to do it in conjunction with chrome fork lowers and new wheel package. I am sure the dealer labor cost will not be cheap. Approximately how long and difficult is this to accomplish fot the average guy. I am not a mechanic but have can find my way around the garage. Any idea how many hours this calls for at the dealership? Also, let us know how the ride is effected once you get a few miles with the new setup. Thanks.
Hey Taz . . .I know Stang has answered your questions already but here's some more info for you to think about.

My dealer quoted my 4 hours for the job and at $85 per hour $340 was more than I wanted to spend. The job did take me about 6-8 hours but I was having a heck of a time reassembling the forks because of the bottoming cap fiasco that started this thread. Once that was resolved, it was a cinch. It's not very difficult at all. I changed my fork seals while I was doing the job. I used an 18" piece of 1/2 PVC that I cut long ways and then slid it down over the upper fork tube. This worked beautifully to set the new fork seals set. I put a little bit of fork oil inside the PVC which helped it slide on the upper fork tube. I haven't ridden the bike yet because I'm waiting on my 21 inch wheel but as soon as it gets here, I'll get it installed, ride it, and report back.