Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Plasti Dip Front Fuel Tank Bolts ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012 | 09:32 PM
Dr. Tiki
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Dealer Plasti Dip Front Fuel Tank Bolts ??

Yesterday I noticed a cable harness laying on top of the rocker box. I didn't need it melting on the engine no matter what cable it was. Tonight I pulled my seat and started to pull my gas tank to fix/re-route the cable and I see what looks like Plasti Dip on the front mounting bolts of the gas tank.

I am thinking that this happened during the 50K service, is there any reason to pull the tank for that service interval?

I had to scrap the crap off just so I get a socket over it. Anyone else ever seen this from their dealers?

This is what it looked like once you removed the plastic caps to expose the front fuel tank screws.

The screws once I got them removed.

View of front of tank and why I had to remove it to re-route cables properly.

Last edited by Dr. Tiki; 10-22-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2012 | 10:02 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior

There are plastic covers over those bolts. None are plasti-dipped. Something melted the plastic covers!! They are somewhat soft, but should not have melted.

Old 10-22-2012 | 10:11 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

that's some weird redneck **** there. I would say those are not the factory ones melted

Old 10-22-2012 | 11:28 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

I have got to say I have never seen anything like this. Why don't you just ask the shop that worked on the bike what the hell that is?
Then let us all in on the answer. I am guessing this is going to be a good one.

Old 10-22-2012 | 11:32 PM
Dr. Tiki
|
Stellar HDF Member

The covers are fine and not melted. This is what was underneath the covers.

I have had my tank off and on enough times to know that this was never there before. This is recent.

Old 10-22-2012 | 11:34 PM
Dr. Tiki
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Retrop
I have got to say I have never seen anything like this. Why don't you just ask the shop that worked on the bike what the hell that is?
Then let us all in on the answer. I am guessing this is going to be a good one.
I do plan on asking the shop. I am not OK with this by any measure. In my mind this is a Mickey Mouse fix for something else and it's unacceptable.

Old 10-22-2012 | 11:40 PM
buell95
Road Warrior

My covers are rubber it looks like someone may have siliconed your covers on.

Old 10-23-2012 | 07:38 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

That's messed up. I can't think of why anyone would do that. I've had tanks off these bikes bikes a hundred times if I've had em off once, and all I can come up with is what the other poster said...maybe they thought the mount covers needed to be secured with some kind of adhesive. Not sure what that crap is on there, but damn.

At 50k your fuel lines are supposed to be inspected and the fuel tank filter is supposed to be replaced. The filter is inside the tank. The tank may have been removed to make removing the fuel pump assembly easier. It is awkward to remove and collateral damage can occur to other parts of the bike and the exterior of the tank if your not careful.

Only other thing I can think of is maybe they over tightened your tank mount bolts. If they did, the paint on your tank tabs could have cracked and come off. I've seen this on quite a few tanks where people think they really need to be torqued down super tight. Maybe this happened and the tech was trying to conceal the damage to the paint or keep the paint from peeling off further. If so, he did a good job of that although he jumped out of the frying pan into the fire in my opinion.

Last edited by drive2live2ride; 10-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-23-2012 | 07:46 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Fuel filter service is now at 100K, not sure when that changed from 50K, but I bet the 2010 bikes are at 100K

Old 10-23-2012 | 08:02 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

The covers need to be siliconed on for them to stay attached. I have removed my tank three times and have used silicone to attach the covers each time.

Quick Reply: Dealer Plasti Dip Front Fuel Tank Bolts ??