Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of pyo monkey bar questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A couple of pyo monkey bar questions?

After a lot of reading I am still confused....
Looking at 10" monkey bars for a 2010 street glide with abs...
What will I need for this install cable wise?
Also I am 5"6 anyone else this height like the 10" bars or go for 8" bars?

Thanks

Old 10-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+4" for clutch cable, brake line okay. Extend wires 6" for ease of install. PIA to do but worth it.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
jamminjimmi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the kit from yaffe for my 12", came with wires heat shrink and a new cut to length brake line with banjo fittings. I disconnected my brake line from the master cylinder and tied it up high and installed the new line to the master cylinder and bled it before disconnecting the line from the abs module. Worked fine, no abs light after install. As far as the internal wiring I cut the plugs off, with a few inches left on the plug then soldered the extensions to the controls heat shrank and used some vaseline to coat the heat shrink to get the wires around the point in the top of the bars. Kind of a pita, but nothing like going back in after the fact to pull more wires through like I did to be able to control my air ride from the cb switch I added later.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,613 Likes on 4,896 Posts

there is more than enough factory wire for the 10" bars, you dont need to extend the wiring, I've done a number of them and have not had to do any wire extensions, plenty of wire there, just remove the wires from the connectors and remove the black plastic covering, wrap them tightly with electrical tape, and I use mechanics wire to help feed them thru. the top bend is kinda hard, use the holes in the bottom of the bars to get the wiring past the bend and the second bend is kinda hard too. these are not easy bars to run wiring, so take your time, bring all of your patience, and plan on a few hours minimum. (a good 4-5) make a diagram of location of wires in plug, re install and test everything before putting it all, back together

Old 10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior

Harleycharlie if you use the stock wires isn't it really tight and alot of stress on the wires.
Mark +4" for the clutch and all other wires + 6"? Where is the best place to get the wires.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:25 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 5'6" with 10" YAffe MBBS on my 2010 Street Glide...
i went +4 on brake and clutch... i've said it a dozen times before on this forum.... i don't see how the stock cables reach if run the correct way.. some guys say they have used them, but this is just my experience / opinion...
As for wires, i didn't "extend" anything....the wires on the clutch side were no problem at all.. the wires on the throttle side i had to reroute down along the side of the radio to get the connectors to reach.. the connectors wont be able to snap into the slot on the silver inner fairing support but its not a big deal..you can throw a zip tie or 2 to secure them if you'd like..
I did purchase the SE throttle wire harness (about $100 from HD) to help pull the wires..the stock harness actually has a connector mid run (duh !) which makes pulling more difficult..the SE harness doesn't have the connector
Pulling the wires is not easy to say the least (do a forum search..a ton of battle stories)... but i will say the bars are awesome..the best mod i've done to my bike

Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,613 Likes on 4,896 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Harleycharlie if you use the stock wires isn't it really tight and alot of stress on the wires.
Mark +4" for the clutch and all other wires + 6"? Where is the best place to get the wires.
no, its plenty long enough, you will have more that you need, do what you want, I do this for a living

Old 10-21-2012, 01:38 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior

Is $300 shipped for brand new monkey bars a good price?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:26 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Is $300 shipped for brand new monkey bars a good price?
Very good price! Can you PM me and tell me where you found this deal at please?

mikebaby

Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior

It's a one off from a guy who bought the wrong bars

Quick Reply: A couple of pyo monkey bar questions?