Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbing Vest and HD Temp Controller?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM
circlenine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gerbing Vest and HD Temp Controller?

I bought the Gerbing heated vest liner, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get a temperature controller. My local dealership stocked the HD dual temperature controller, so I bought it knowing Gerbing is their heated gear manufacturer.

I've plugged it in turned it all the way up but it doesn't seem nearly as hot as when the vest is plugged directly into the bike without a controller or on/off switch. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe it's just my mind messing with me as the ambient temperatures were most likely different during the rides. Curiously, on a really cold day should I be expecting to feel a baking heat, or more a comfortable ride if the temperature is on the highest setting? Obviously one's layering would make a difference here too.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

i don't have a hd controller or gerbing heated clothing, however, i do have two "heat trollers" controllers and a "warm and safe" heated jacket. i have both controllers wired to the battery with one in the faring of my yamaha and another on a velcro mount on the front just below the cruise button on my harley. my jacket goes from lightly warming on low to toasty-roasty on medium to a frigging fire storm when on high. how tight is your jacket to the body? it should be a little snug for best results. i'd take it back or try another controler. i've never directly connected to the battery. i don't think i can anyway.

cass

Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't speak for the vest, but I have the Gerbing jacket liner and it will roast me if I have the controller all the way up. My guess is your controller is not working correctly.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Heated gear needs to fit snuggly and only 1 thin layer underneath it. You can check the output from the controller with a digital volt meter. Should put out the same voltage as the battery on high.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 AM
circlenine
Tourer

cass[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by cass
i have both controllers wired to the battery with one in the faring of my yamaha and another on a velcro mount on the front just below the cruise button on my harley... how tight is your jacket to the body? it should be a little snug for best results. i'd take it back or try another controler. i've never directly connected to the battery. i don't think i can anyway.

cass
The Gerbing stuff seems to wire a little differently. The contacts and plug came with the vest (they are wired to the battery). The temperature controller then plugs into the vest and the plug that's connected to the battery. The vest is snug, but I am sure I can improve my layering a bit.

Originally Posted by hog.ryder
I can't speak for the vest, but I have the Gerbing jacket liner and it will roast me if I have the controller all the way up. My guess is your controller is not working correctly.
This is what I expected based on everything I've read about the gear. Your guess was the same as mine, thanks for the confirmation!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:33 AM
circlenine
Tourer

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Heated gear needs to fit snuggly and only 1 thin layer underneath it. You can check the output from the controller with a digital volt meter. Should put out the same voltage as the battery on high.
Will definitely check this. One thin layer could have been the issue too... I've been riding to work and I wear a t shirt with a button down dress shirt over it, then the vest. I will toy with different layers this weekend when riding and see if it helps. Thank you!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by circlenine
Will definitely check this. One thin layer could have been the issue too... I've been riding to work and I wear a t shirt with a button down dress shirt over it, then the vest. I will toy with different layers this weekend when riding and see if it helps. Thank you!
i do pretty much the same, t-shirt, dress shirt, heated jacket, outer texitle with waterproof liner/windbreaker. snug as a bug in a rug. check the controller. does sound like there may be a problem with it. good luck.

cass

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Krow
Tourer

I have the heated jacket liner, gloves and dual controller - all HD because they're the only ones selling heated clothing around here.. I wear a long sleeve T-shirt with the heated liner replacing the normal liner in my textile jacket. I don't think I've ever had either **** turned up even 1/2 way. These things are WARM! Sounds to me like you might have a problem with your controller.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:42 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,806 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I use a mix of Gerbing and HD gear. I seldom have to go more than half way on the controller to stay warm even on a cold day. Although, I do turn it up in the begining of the ride and once its toasty, dial it back and it maintains my vest, gloves etc nicely.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Tedjay
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Gerbings jacket liner will roast me if the controller is turned all the way up. A snug fit is the key in my opinion. I find the jacket liner has to be in contact with my shirt for me to feel the warmth - it's not like a radiator that radiates heat through an air space (or a poor radiator at best).

Quick Reply: Gerbing Vest and HD Temp Controller?