Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Better Tuner For My Touring Bike Is On The Way

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Better Tuner For My Touring Bike Is On The Way

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I like your style Baboo....let us know how things progress with the PV.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:44 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats great you got a full refund on it. At least the mistake didn't cost you anything but time

Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Well now that the taste of crow is almost gone you should like the PV. It is great for OCD Types.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:09 AM
mnclassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a few metric guys that bought the PowerPro with CVT and ended up pulling it off of their bikes. I agree with your comment about Cobra making some good products, I have several installed on my Yamaha without any issues. I just think Cobra missed the boat on the CVT.

As for Phil, I've heard that same comment from others. If he can't solve your problem for you then it must be because of your lack of knowledge.

Good luck with the new tuner, I hear they make a great product.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm still happy with my Powerpro, good luck with your new tuner.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:21 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Last edited by Sweetbaboo; 01-18-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo

I originally posted this on the Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection forum, but since I have a touring bike I decided to put it here on the larger Touring Forum as well.

Sometimes a guy has to admit he has made a mistake, face the music, and then make the necessary corrections.

First, an apology to those I locked horns with over the Cobra PowerPro, I was wrong. I made a mistake buying the new Cobra PowerPro Fi2000, and I now have a Dynojet Power Vision on order.

This past July I purchased the new Cobra PowerPro Fi2000 with CVT, you can read up on it here: http://www.baggersmag.com/tech/1110_...tuning_system/

I currently ride a 2009 Electra Glide Classic with only a SE AC and SE slip-on muffs. Cams are on-deck for this winter. So, nothing radical and nothing special about my ride.

The PowerPro install was easy and went well. The immediate differences I noticed with the new PowerPro were: smoother running at low speeds, cooler right leg, peppy throttle response, and a small increase in power. It really seemed to wake the motor up. Also, my SE muffs sounded different---a deeper tone and a bit louder.

BUT, my fuel economy took a hit. It dropped at least 10 mpg. On a trip to the Black Hills I had a low of 27 mpg and a one time high of 36 mpg. My tank range was about 160 miles, sometimes less. Yes, I understand that with the addition of a "fueler" one's fuel economy usually comes down a bit along with the increased performance, but I feel that mine dropped too much. So, on my trip I was disappointed but chalked it up to high speeds and South Dakota wind.

After I got back home I ran 3 full tanks (taking it easy) and then calculated the mean average, it was just under 34 mpg. So, I contacted Cobra and ended up talking to a tech named Phil, after a series of questions, he had me open up the unit and adjust a pot that either enriches or leans the bike at cruise/closed loop. I tried different positions and just couldn't get any better than 34 mpg overall average. Then, during my last call with Phil, he talked down to me like it was my very first bike. I got my first bike in 1974. He also said that he has never had anyone with this problem before. Really? But worst of all, he suggested that I and my riding buddies were lying when I mentioned to him that they, and I before the install, got into the 40 mpg range. At that point my days of defending Cobra's PowerPro here on the forums, or anywhere else, came to an abrupt end.

I tried one more setting on the adjustment dial (9 o'clock position) but still the same poor results. I just don't understand why Phil had to start talking stupid and **** me off, he has cost Cobra another customer now---I've since discovered that others have had trouble with Phil too. What a shame, I really wanted the PowerPro to work and I feel that I gave it an honest try.

Thankfully, I had purchased the PowerPro from Direct Cycle Parts and they gave me a good deal on it ($459.95 with free shipping). Shipping was fast and DCP is a sponser here on HDForums. I called Frank at DCP and he really stepped up---he is issuing me a full refund on the Cobra and offered me a great deal on a new Dynojet Power Vision. I took him up on it and it's on the way; just got the e-mail confirmation and invoice. Great customer service!

I originally bought the Cobra because I didn't want to screw with maps and adjustments, the idea of CVT appealed to me greatly. Also, Cobra DOES make some good products, check their website.

I know too that there are some happy PowerPro owners that are fully satisfied with their units, I tried but just couldn't get there. I enjoyed the performance gains, but I was not fully satisfied with fuel economy. I guess I came to a place where I thought I should/could do better overall.

A side-note to you happy PowerPro owners out there, after opening up my PowerPro and fooling around with the adjustment, I came to the realization that it is not sealed against water intrusion. I suggest you find a way to seal yours. Check out this metric dude's post: http://www.roadstarraider.com/index.php?topic=15847.0

Flame me and tell me "I told you so" if you want, but Power Vision here I go.

Hey baboo

I too took a hit on my fuel mileage, but like you, I wanted a "tuner" that would adapt to my every changing Harley without dealing with maps and retuning issues. I will say I have checked my PowerPro with every change from exhaust to the latest cams and barrels, and it has "tuned and adapted". Right now Iam pulling 85/99.78, so lets call it 85/100 :-).
Which is ballpark for a 103 with 255 cams.

But Iam leaning to a Power Vision myself.
I like the idea of a flash tuner, but with the added bonus of having real time data.
Only difference is I'll be using a fellow Wisconsinite (?), Fuel Moto will do my tuning.
Hell, I might even change cams too while Iam up there....lol

Good luck my friend

Quick Reply: A Better Tuner For My Touring Bike Is On The Way