Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble around long turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 AM
hkshooper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble around long turns

I just got an 06 street glide and it seems like around long turns goin freeway speeds is gets a wobble not a full speed wobble but more like its skating around I took it to dealer and they said nothing was wrong but something sure isn't right

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,844 Likes on 19,331 Posts

There are a LOT of threads on this ... Do a search on True Trak

http://www.true-track.com/

Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

Pretty common. Check tires, swingarm bushings, motor mounts, head and wheel bearings; then get a "third" link.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bagger wobble seems to occur every time a 400lb rider and his 380lb pillion head out on a ride with 300lbs of luggage, strange.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Verify all the usual problem points, tire pressure, steering head tension, alignment, correct fluid in the forks, good shocks, etc. etc. Then go get one of the many stabilizers available. It'll improve your entire ride.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 AM
The Prophet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three things I would look at right away are:

1.)Tire Air Pressure - check and compare with HD recommendations. If you are >180 lbs., consider adding a psi or two for every say 20 lbs you are over that.

2.) Did the past owner(s) install a big,fat tire on the rear? This will screw up the geometry of the turn handling for sure. Check if both the front and rear tires are as OEM specifications.

3.) Is the rear tire worn flat? Meaning a flat spot very evident on the contact area of the tire? - result of many things, mainly maintaining proper air pressure, also ridng for long periods on straight, turnless roads.

That's about all the easy stuff I can think of.

Bob

Old 10-18-2012, 09:16 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I dont think anyone has mentioned the front motor mount yet, but it does influence the motion of the "floating" driveline. As mentionted already, check the fundamentals first; serviceability and adjustment of all OEM chassis subsystems. Then you can explore the countless aftermarket "solutions".

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

My ultra seems to be more sensitive to throttle changes than any of my previous bikes.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Common on Harley touring bikes before 09. Wobble most apparant on sweepers, going faster than posted speeds.

It feels uncomfortable, and only solution on stock bike is to slow down till it goes away : <(

Several aftermarket solutions. In 09 they changed to a stronger frame, and it pretty much went away.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All the above mentioned should be checked. But here is my 2 cents.

Never had a problem with long sweeping turns at higher than speed limit speeds. One day, the front end started to wobble. Let off the gas, clinched my cheeks and rode it out.
Could never duplicate the feeling again.

Had it checked out and dealer said my front wheel bearings were shot. 2009 FLHX with 20K on the tires. Tech rode the bike around the parking lot and hit the kill switch to coast. You could hear the bearings grinding. Also showed me how the front tire was wearing uneven.

This all happened after my trip to Tail of the Dragon on my way home. $50 deductible fixed the bearing. When I was riding home, I felt how the tire wore uneven. Now the wobble was worse. Everytime I leaned the bike for a turn, I had a heavy vibration in the front end. Had my servicing dealer warranty out the front tire because the failed bearing made it wear uneven. They did me a solid!

Quick Reply: Wobble around long turns