Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thread Size On Ball End

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012 | 08:10 PM
GMRO
|
Road Captain
Default Thread Size On Ball End

Wanting to change the ends on my shifter linkage. So I purchased 2 new heim joints from an Indy MC Shop. Nice chrome heim ends.

So I need a bolt and a nut for the front end of the rod connection and only a bolt for the rear connection as the bolt reads into the transmission arm.

Anyone know the thread size of the OEM ball studs that I will be removing? This way I can get the right bolt size for the rear connection. Guessing the front and rear OEM ball studs are the same? Except the front has a nut and washer.

Don't want to tear it apart till I have all the parts in case something stupid occurs with the stock stuff when I go to remove it.

THANKS!!!

Last edited by GMRO; 10-17-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2012 | 08:13 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

5/16-24

Old 10-17-2012 | 08:21 PM
Batman7349
Cruiser

Let the search function be thy friend.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-linkage.html

Best price I've found on the Heim rod ends are $3.99, course I can drive 10 miles and pick them up at their office.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Standa...ale,29318.html

Old 10-18-2012 | 07:36 AM
GMRO
|
Road Captain

Thanks Dawg and Batman!

I'll source the hardware today.

BTW, looking at the linkages mine seems good at the lever ends. Meaning not excess play. I will take the advice of the other thread shown and check the front toe/heel levers for tightness. I've already moved the heel lever a tooth for better throw. Levers seemed tight on the spline but I did not check the toe lever too closely. Is this stripping really an issue? I'll check once I remove the rod. I can prolly remove a little shaft play by pressing the toe lever inwards and close up the tiny gap with the rubber spacer on the back of the linkage. I'll grease it up too.

Back at the transmission the lever seems very good and tight on the spline. But I do notice some play if you move the lever away from the motor, pull if you will and press back in, slop. Say about 1/8" or slightly more. Not the shift movement this is a in and out type of play. This normal?

Bike shifts great before the fix. Just want to add the heim parts for easier oiling and looks is all.

THANKS AGAIN!