Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012 | 07:36 PM
jamala00
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Clutch Question

Guys my 09 Ultra left me stranded today. Heading out of town on a country road, went to shift and the clutch handle was loose as could be. You could wiggle the handle all the way in and out and there was nothing. Coasted to a stop and called the HD shop to come pick up the bike to get it looked at. Couple months back I had adjusted my clutch and the HD shop also just did the 20K maintenance. I had noticed and told the HD shop prior to them doing my 20K Maintenance that the clutch seemed "Grabby"... Anyway, they called me and said the clutch cable was not broke, they said the jam nut was not loose. They readjusted the clutch and said it is now working as it should.

Has anybody just all of a sudden have no clutch like that? Something just seems strange to me. I don't want to be half way across the state and it happens again.

Old 10-17-2012 | 07:55 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

If something is 100% mechanical, there would be something visually out of whack in order for it to be that far out of adjustment. I think the shop fixed their previous screw up but made it look like a silly lil adjustment. They pointed at you as the cause.
Hatch.

Old 10-17-2012 | 08:06 PM
jamala00
|
Seasoned HDF Member

My initial thought, was that. If that's the case then cool and no worries about it breaking down again. They said no charge for picking up the bike and re-adjusting it. I'm all for owning up to your mistakes and if that is what happened then I would rather be told. Were all human, mistakes can happen.

Anyway, hope your right.

Old 10-17-2012 | 08:07 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

See how it is when you get it back..Chances are you will not have trouble with it and you will be able to trust your bike.. ..

Old 10-17-2012 | 08:49 PM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain

I recently adjusted my clutch and when I went to take the slack out of the cable the slack would not come out. Opened up the transmission cover and the throw out bearing and one of the thrust washers fell out in pieces. Put new washers and throw out bearing back in and everything was great. Can't imagine that if this was the problem that the shop would not have told you, but who knows for sure.

Old 10-17-2012 | 09:00 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I just installed new levers, and while adjusting my cable I took up to much and had no engagement. But I always had tension. I think something snapped or came loose and they fixed it.

Old 10-17-2012 | 09:04 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

If the shop covered the pick up and fixing of your bike I will put a stack of folding cash on it being their screw up,but now because of this fantastic service they provided you they will expect you to get all warm and fuzzy inside.
Let's hope they fixed it right.

Old 10-17-2012 | 09:40 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Is it a stock clutch cable?
I'll share what is happening with my Magnum clutch cable and may explain a way that the dealer is not lying:
I put this cable on 3 or 4 months ago. Adjusted and tightened jamb nut. Every 3-4 weeks the clutch starts grabbing too soon or not soon enough. To the point that it doesn't seem to be engaging completely or disengaging completely. I've gotten to the point that I stop and adjust it on the side of the road and then do more thorough job when I get home. Every single time the jamb nut is tight, but the jamb nut is moving together with the adjuster. I don't know what to do. I don't want to put any Lock-Tite or other goo on there or it won't adjust easily. I guess I could take it apart and ad a second jamb nut on the other side of the adjuster?

Dunno, anybody else experiencing this?

Maybe OP is experiencing this. My point is that, yes, it is possible to come out of adjustment when the jamb nut is tight.

Old 10-17-2012 | 10:01 PM
99ultra
Advanced

When you say they just did your service and you told them the clutch seemed grabby it makes me think they adjusted it and left the jam nut loose. The fact that they picked it up and repaired for free pretty much says it was their mistake. I agree mistakes happen but they should have told you if for no other reason then to give you piece of mind that it won't happen again..

Old 10-18-2012 | 08:21 AM
jamala00
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Is it a stock clutch cable?
I'll share what is happening with my Magnum clutch cable and may explain a way that the dealer is not lying:
I put this cable on 3 or 4 months ago. Adjusted and tightened jamb nut. Every 3-4 weeks the clutch starts grabbing too soon or not soon enough. To the point that it doesn't seem to be engaging completely or disengaging completely. I've gotten to the point that I stop and adjust it on the side of the road and then do more thorough job when I get home. Every single time the jamb nut is tight, but the jamb nut is moving together with the adjuster. I don't know what to do. I don't want to put any Lock-Tite or other goo on there or it won't adjust easily. I guess I could take it apart and ad a second jamb nut on the other side of the adjuster?

Dunno, anybody else experiencing this?

Maybe OP is experiencing this. My point is that, yes, it is possible to come out of adjustment when the jamb nut is tight.

Interesting..! Well if it happens again. (Which I sure hope it does not). I will hang onto this and talk to them about maybe looking into it. Thx!

Quick Reply: Clutch Question