Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about LED "accent lighting"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Question Thinking about LED "accent lighting"

but, not for "bling"

I'm thinking safety. I ride the Interstate at night at least a couple times a week. Last night, on I-40 near Raleigh, I was thinking "dang - it's dark out here". There are sections of the freeways around here that have no overhead lighting, no lane reflectors, nothin'. I'm thinking I need to be lit up like a Christmas tree to be seen by the truckers, drunks, soccer-moms, commuters, etc. Especially as the days get shorter.

Have any of you folks done LEDs for the pure reason of being more visible?

Any tips or lessons learned you can share?

Thanks

Oh yea, FWIW, this will be on my 2010 Ultra

Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM
DesireBagger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw how it was done at a bike show and did my own. At Auto Zone I purchased (1) pack of 8 inch Alpena (high output) "blue" leds. Two 8 inch strips come in the pack. These are both cut 4 inches long and are installed on the top of both front brake rotors. Next I purchased (2) packs of 12 inch Alpena (high output) "blue" leds. Two of them are installed under the gas tank on each side. The other two 12 inch leds are installed under the rear hard bag support bar. You'll also need a bag of black 4 inch cable ties from Lowes. I ran all the wires back to the battery under the seat. I connected all the grounds together on the ground lug of the battery. I connected all the hots (they have a white strip on them) to the accessory connector under the seat. This funny looking brown connector was intended for you to connect only Harley purchased items to it for power from the accessory switch. I tore this connector apart. While using a volt meter, and with the accessory switch on, I only had to find 12 volts on one of the wires.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about LED "accent lighting"-under-saddle-bag-led.jpg   Thinking about LED "accent lighting"-front-brake-led-2.jpg   Thinking about LED "accent lighting"-acc-switch-on-far-right.jpg   Thinking about LED "accent lighting"-under-gas-tank-led.jpg   Thinking about LED "accent lighting"-front-brake-led-1.jpg  

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Thanks for the photos!

I think here in NC, I remember someone telling me they got hassled by a cop for using blue. Something about "being mistaken for law enforcement" or some such.

On the saddlebag bars, did you run the wires inside the tubing or just zip-tie it on the inboard side? Sounds like a simple enough project, I'll for sure be doing it myself.

Do you find the locations you chose to light up gets the job done? Do you feel more visible on dark interstates? :-)

Old 10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

A guy down the street from me has this accent lighting all over his Deuce, great looking bike during the day, but stupid looking as hell at night. Just not my thing, but if it's a safety concern then by all means. I remember flying into Raleigh one night and renting a car and driving up north towards Youngsville, man that highway was dark. Seems like the tree's came right up to the road. Been a long time ago, heading that way again in December for training. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

great looking bike during the day, but stupid looking as hell at night. Just not my thing, but if it's a safety concern then by all means.
Yea, no offense intended to anyone on the Forums here, but I always thought they wern't for me either. Then I started thinker about how I could make myself stand out on those dark-*** roads where the cagers are zipping by at 85+, the lane paint is invisible, and for that matter so am I. Throw in a little rain and it's like bumper cars in space or something.

Then I thought about the truckers all lit up, and started thinking..... maybe I need to do this as a self-defense measure!

Yea, look me up when you're out this way. I live about 40 minutes west (via I-40) of RDU. Always good to put a face to a name around here1

Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
HDBRATT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is an idea if your on the fence on the lit up like a neon look. Get LED's for your lights and get the very bright break light like I have. I also have a horn from hell...I know that wont make you stand out anymore at night but they will hear it. The LED headlight and passing lights are really bright. Just an idea...trying to help ya out.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have 6 lights up front, and 7 in the rear, and still have accent lighting to add to the safety factor of the bike. I use white, its the brightest, and no hassles.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I have 6 lights up front, and 7 in the rear, and still have accent lighting to add to the safety factor of the bike. I use white, its the brightest, and no hassles.
That's what I'm thinking - white.

I plan on doing the whole LED turnsignal/passing lamp/headlight/taillight thing too, but that's a whole pile of cash for right now. Maybe I'll start with some white accent lights and the LED turn signal/brake light setup for now, then add the headlight and passing lamps after my checkbook recovers from that ;-)

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

I also have a horn from hell...I know that wont make you stand out anymore at night but they will hear it.
+1 on the horn. I've got the Rivco dual trumpet air horn on both my bikes. Had opportunity to use it too!

Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM
cmonico
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out JoeFlorida LEDs. They are very bright, not that expensive and he warranties his kits for life. The multicolor kits have like seven different colors, white included. I have his largest kit on my FLHX, like it alot.

Quick Reply: Thinking about LED "accent lighting"