Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Times Can you Reapply Grips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:07 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question How Many Times Can you Reapply Grips?

On my 3rd installation of the same Kuryakyn Iso Grips the left doesn't feel seated well. After installing my Wild 1 bars I sanded the left side to roughen the area. Liberally applied super glue gel then installed the grip. However this time it feels loose, easy to rotate if I applied enough force.

I've done this same process a half dozen times before on different bikes, but never with a grip that been installed and removed 2 previous times. If I remove it and try again am I going to run into the same problem?

Thanks,
R

Old 10-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What year bike? My 09 is a THE, I installed grips that I had on before and they were fine, no turning...nothing. Maybe a type.of glue that is thicker than super glue? Gorilla glue?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never used glue and can reuse grips indefinitely.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THE was suppose to be TBW. No glue either... the grips have a lop or edge around the top that fir into the turn signal housing.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdawg
THE was suppose to be TBW. No glue either... the grips have a lop or edge around the top that fir into the turn signal housing.
No glue needed for either side on my 06 cable operated.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 10-14-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't use glue on my Iso grips because it seems to fail after they get soaked in the rain. I wind electrical tape around the left bar and "screw" the grip on. Correct amount of tape and the grip does not move after installation but can be forcefully twisted off when required.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Big E1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem with my left isogrip nothing would work. Spoke to a kuryakan installer at americade he said they can't be reinstalled. Gave me a new left grip and some sand paper and glue. I put it on right there perfect ever since.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Harleydaddy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem putting my brand new set of ISO's on. The right one went on ok. The left was a royal pain. No matter what glue or double sided tape I used, they spun around. Called Kury, and they said use a whole tube of super glue gel. Well thats what I used in the first place! Then tried gorilla glue, and that did the trick. But I will never be able to reuse them. That left one ain't ever coming off there now!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I don't use glue on my Iso grips because it seems to fail after they get soaked in the rain. I wind electrical tape around the left bar and "screw" the grip on. Correct amount of tape and the grip does not move after installation but can be forcefully twisted off when required.
Good tip right there. Learned that on the forum a while back and it has done me well.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:39 PM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 172 Likes on 76 Posts

I use "contact" cement on my Iso grips. I have ridden in all kinds of weather and never any problems. The can be "twisted off but takes alot of effort. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How Many Times Can you Reapply Grips?