Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming Spare Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 AM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Programming Spare Fob

I want to get a spare fob for my '08 Ultra; I've searched the forums and the consensus is that the only way to get a new fob programmed (the kind with no buttons) is for the dealership to do it. But my mind rebels against the idea of charging as much or more than the cost of the spare fob itself for labor to do this programming. I've been quoted anywhere from $50 to $110 for this. And from what I hear, it takes all of about 10 minutes to do it.

Does anybody out there know a solution to getting a spare fob programmed without paying highway robbery labor charges?

JL

Old 10-14-2012, 11:29 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with you on this. What a crock of ****. If you buy a fob from them they ought to program the damn thing for free.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Just learn to use the code you can enter with the turn signal switches and forget the spare fob altogether.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:16 PM
saxfiend
Tourer

Originally Posted by piasspj
Just learn to use the code you can enter with the turn signal switches and forget the spare fob altogether.
Yes, I'm quite familiar with that procedure, and that's what I'll use if I lose my fob now. Long-term, however, I wouldn't want that as a permanent solution, so I'm looking for a way to get a spare fob sooner or later (without paying $100 or more for it).

JL

Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaAviator
I'm with you on this. What a crock of ****. If you buy a fob from them they ought to program the damn thing for free.
But then you wouldn't get the "Harley Kiss".

Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you only have 1 fob? If so I would have the dealer do the programing and have them erase all the fobs first then program the ones you have plus the new one.

Some autos are like this with the ignition keys. Have to clear all keys and start programing all over. Make sure to bring all the fobs you have when the programing is done.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM
saxfiend
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tinman265
Do you only have 1 fob? If so I would have the dealer do the programing and have them erase all the fobs first then program the ones you have plus the new one.

Some autos are like this with the ignition keys. Have to clear all keys and start programing all over. Make sure to bring all the fobs you have when the programing is done.
Really? Programming a new fob will screw up my existing one? This just keeps getting better and better . . .

JL

Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fob

I bought my fob from the dealer and they programmed it for no cost. No way they should charge you for the 5 minutes it takes them. Find another dealer if they try that bs. The ECU holds two FOB codes so they will erase the one you don't have (lost) and code the new one in the erased FOB memory. No problems.

Last edited by RoadGlideGary; 10-14-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It may be simple with a $2500 scan tool and training, but service and parts are two separate businesses. I work in a auto dealership and only get paid by the job. Buying a fob does not help a tech pay for his tools. Sucks but that's how it is. When you get something for nothing the tech is working for free. Mike

Old 10-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by saxfiend
Really? Programming a new fob will screw up my existing one? This just keeps getting better and better . . .

JL
Not necessarily. It may, it may not. Depends how Harley does things.

If it were me, being a second owner?? I would want all previous fobs erased and only current ones put back in.

Not knowing previous owners and where the other fob went..... I wouldn't want another fob out there that could "disarm" my security system.

If you lost it then it really doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Programming Spare Fob