Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming Spare Fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

I wanted to through both my fobs out and put a switch under the seat at one point but technology isnt all that bad right?

Ive never needed the other fob and i never needed 2 fobs for my Mercedes-B(350 for a spare)talk about rip off.

maybe someone on here can also tell us how to just ditch tha fob all together?

Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
I wanted to through both my fobs out and put a switch under the seat at one point but technology isnt all that bad right?

Ive never needed the other fob and i never needed 2 fobs for my Mercedes-B(350 for a spare)talk about rip off.

maybe someone on here can also tell us how to just ditch tha fob all together?
Find someone without security that wants it and swap your TSSM for their TSM
Dealer intervention may still be required ;-/

Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Keith50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 16 year old son program both my fobs.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith50
After reading this I decided to finally go out to the garage and read my service manual. Now keep in mind this is for a 2011 not a 2008. They are both hands free, proximity units so here it goes.

The fobs have to be programmed into the HFSM (hands free security module) using the digital tech. The module only has room in it for 2 fobs to be stored. You also set the initial bypass pin at this time (usually 11111).

If you add security or have to change the HFSM there is a learn procedure for the ECM serial number to the HFSM without the digital tech but the fobs still need to be programmed.

Each fob has its own unique serial number. Your new fob should have it on a sticker, affixed to the back of the fob. The serial number of the new unit that should be removed and kept by you. As for your current fob, the service manual does not say where to find the serial number. It sounds like it is not on the fob. Only on the sticker when it is new. The dealer will have more knowledge about this part.

The pin to bypass the security can be changed at anytime using the procedure in your owners manual.

If there is a way to program a fob in another way that does not require a $100 trip to the dealer please tell us....... Please, spread the knowledge.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Tinman265
Road Master

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Find someone without security that wants it and swap your TSSM for their TSM
Dealer intervention may still be required ;-/
Cannot be swapped. The HFSM learns some sort of pin of the ECM and will not work on another bike. Service manual does not say this but it is implied.

Any HD techs are invited to step in and correct anything put here.... Please.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
After reading this I decided to finally go out to the garage and read my service manual. Now keep in mind this is for a 2011 not a 2008. They are both hands free, proximity units so here it goes.
I pored through my service manual and can't find bugger all about the fob, much less how to program it.

If there is a way to program a fob in another way that does not require a $100 trip to the dealer please tell us....... Please, spread the knowledge.
Yes, please do!

At this point, I'm resigning myself to the fact that the only way to get this done is to pay the dealer, so I'm just going to do without a spare. If I lose my only fob, I'll bit the bullet and get a new one then.

JL

Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 PM
saxfiend
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith50
Since you provide no details, I'm guessing this is just a sarcastic internet response.

JL

Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Tinman265
Road Master

Originally Posted by saxfiend
I pored through my service manual and can't find bugger all about the fob, much less how to program it.

JL
I found it in the electrical section regarding the TSSM or TSM...... Section 7.4 or something and then more in the electrical diag section toward the back of the book......

This is in a 2011 service manual........

Old 10-14-2012, 11:30 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Each fob has its own unique serial number. Your new fob should have it on a sticker, affixed to the back of the fob. The serial number of the new unit that should be removed and kept by you. As for your current fob, the service manual does not say where to find the serial number. It sounds like it is not on the fob. Only on the sticker when it is new. The dealer will have more knowledge about this part.
From the owners manual

The reusable label found on the fob packaging lists the serial number of the fob. For reference, fix the label to a blank "NOTES" page in the Owner's Manual.
The serial number of the fob is also found on the inside of the fob. See Fob Battery.
The module will arm only if the fob has been assigned by a Harley-Davidson dealer and a Personal Identification Number (PIN) has been entered in the system. The PIN should be recorded on the Personal Information page in the front of this Owner's Manual and on the removable wallet card.

My dealer pointed this out at delivery and had made copies of the fob serial numbers to put in with the delivery paper work.

Attached Thumbnails Programming Spare Fob-om00958.jpg  

Last edited by vzts4q; 10-14-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Directions for FOB assignment right out of the Electrical Diagnostics Manual.

FOB ASSIGNMENT
PART NUMBER TOOL NAME
HD-48650 DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II
Use DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (Part No. HD-48650) to assign
both fobs to the H-DSSS. Follow the menu prompts in the
DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (Part No. HD-48650) display and
scan the fob serial number with the bar code reader, or key-in
the number from the keyboard. See a Harley-Davidson dealer.
NOTE
Each fob has a unique serial number. The label should be
removed from the fob and attached to a blank NOTES page
in the Owner's Manual for reference.

Unless you have a Digital Technician II you are SOL in regards to self programming a FOB. I would suggest this is a MOCO security issue and protects all of us from would be thieves reprogramming.

Quick Reply: Programming Spare Fob