Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dealer question

I pulled the trigger to upgrade my 2007 Streetglide, ordered the bike the way that I wanted it and it came in last week. I have a small deposit and with my trade there is a 7K balance, the dealer that I am using now tells me that they will not take my HD visa card or a personal check, they want certified funds in the form of a bank check. It's not a big deal to stop at the bank to get a check but I am wondering what other guys have experienced. I have written checks before and used my card at other dealers without question. Any opinions on how other dealers operate would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I have traded twice at our local dealer and wrote a personal check both times. If they know you I think they should take your check. If you are dealing with someone you don't know then you have to understand they are just protecting themselves when they refuse your check. I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker but if it was me I would go with my gut feeling.It's sad that's the way business is done sometimes but it's the times we live in. Good luck with your transaction and your new bike.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

If they have never dealt with you before I guess it's understandable. It would be a big deal if you have a relationship with them,and they will not take your check.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Bank or Certified Check or Cash!

My dealer insisted on a bank check, certified check or cash. I offered to cut a personal check and return in a week or so to pick up the bike, so that the check would clear first, but they were insistant, I don't quite understand why, but it was no biggie.

The last time I purchased a car the dealer accepted a personal check from me, AFTER DOING A CREDIT CHECK and getting my credit score. Till this day I still don't know what my credit score is or what it would have to do with being able to accept a check from me.

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 10-14-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Pierucki
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer has signs posted that say no personal checks on bike purchases. I figure it is the same reason that I would not want a personal check from someone. If I listed a bike on Craigslist and accepted a partial trade, I would not take one. The hassle of collecting if it bounced is a pain. Plus at some places a salesman will get his comission pulled if it bounces and then reinstated once the matter is cleared up.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM
VinnyM
Road Master

I think you guys are right, I have not purchased a bike at this dealership so they don't know me. In addition I did the deal with the manager who is now on vacation for two weeks, the guy I talked to yesterday that was assigned to do the final delivery is a floor guy and his attitude was way different, it twisted me off to be treated like a flake that couldn't be trusted for a check. It is a better deal than every other dealer by about 2K so I will make it work..................thanks!!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,487 Posts

I always pay cash with a check but they know me.
As for credit card I know of no Dealers car or bike that will take a credit card for purchase. When they take a card they pay the card company from 2% on up for the right they are not going to take a hit like that on the sale.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah - the credit card fees really cut into the profits - that's why gas stations have different prices for cash and credit

Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No biggie...do the deal and gratz ob the bike.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 AM
VinnyM
Road Master

I keep the HD card for chrome cash but haven't used it since I traded an 03 on the 07 and my other dealer took it for $8K. Other than new bikes and Formula + I don't frequent dealerships much.

Quick Reply: Dealer question