Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 10:37 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I took a personal check for the entire purchase price ($12.5K) for a bike, from a guy once, on a late Saturday afternoon (his bank closed until Monday). It was kind of a three-way deal, that guy was buying my bike, and I was buying another from a dealer...using those funds. The dealer told me it was my call, but in Cali., if the guy gave me a bad check for that kind of money for a vehicle, it would be considered grand theft, and the cops would step in to recover the 'stolen' vehicle. Now, this dude owned a home locally (and he was a preacher...not that preachers don't sin, too), so based on all of this I took the check and turned the bike over. It turned out ok, but I was nervous. (Especially when I got to the bank first thing Monday AM...and they told me there were insufficient funds...the guy had miscalculated his balance turned out, and a quick call to him had it squared-away in 10 minutes...but still, talk about 'pucker factor'...)

I don't know to this day how accurate that information was, about being considered a 'stolen' bike if the purchase check bounced. It sounds like the OP's situation was different, i.e., by leaving a substantial 'payment' for the bike, he was obviously not intending to steal it, even if the balance-check bounced. (There being a legal differentiation between an 'honest mistake' and outright 'theft', even if the difference is not a practical one).

(In this day/age, I understand Cashier and Certified bank checks are being forged. So I don't know what the dealer was really getting by requesting one of these, that they couldn't get from a personal check, i.e., they could call the issuing bank, verify the check is 'good' in either case).

Personally, I've paid-for and paid-off vehicles using personal checks in the past. But not that I recall 'cold turkey', just walking in off the street one day, to do it. Even so, my guess is this dealer's policy in this regard is as much a product of the times as it is in not trusting the OP, personally. That, and the guy that was responsible for collecting the money felt like it was his azz on the line, and didn't want to f up.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 10-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
No biggie...do the deal and gratz ob the bike.
Thanks, looking forward to the bike. I bought a 2011 RKC last year and really like the new frame and the 103. My riding season at 9K' is measured in days at this point and it will give me a nice winter project.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I bought the FLTR the dealer questioned me about using my Harley Visa. I told him it was the only way I'd buy the bike. Way too many "Chrome Cash Points" to pass up considering I was going to have to buy a batch of crap to finish the bike out with.

Next they tried to tell me the discount on new parts for the bike was only good the day I purchased the bike whether they had the part or not. I could wait for them to deliver the parts, but they wouldn't wait for me to deliver the money. I told 'em that was too bad, 'cause I really wanted that bike but maybe I could find another one down the road. They took the credit card & waited till I got the "Chrome Cash" certificates, then gave me the discount on the extra parts. They'll go along with nearly anything if they know they'll loose a sale.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:28 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They dont want to take it because it has to be held, whereas a cashiers check or equivalent will be cashable/live deposit that day.

I think it is stupid, kind of a turn off.
I wrote a check for 2800 to my dealer, but not 7k$

You would think they would take the card but I guess the fee's affect their take.

lump

Last edited by lumper; 10-14-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM
lumper
Road Master

I took a personal check for the entire purchase price ($12.5K) for a bike, from a guy once, on a late Saturday afternoon (his bank closed until Monday).
You like to live dangerously, my god man, no Freakin way.
I sold my bike in September, 6500$ cash only, I wouldnt even take a cashiers check, I wasnt looking to worry about anything, I too needed that cash to buy a new to me bike so there was no way I was going to jeopardize anything with my bike purchase trusting a stranger with that kind of money.

Glad it worked out for you, still think your nuts for taking a personal check, I mean there is no reason for it.

Just tell the guy, look, its Saturday afternoon, Monday you go to the bank, come over with cash the bike will be all cleaned and waiting for you and we will do thew paperwork, cya Monday.

Whats he going to do, not like there are a lot of others out there going to take a 12k personal check on the weekend, he will show up Monday, cash in hand, if not you averted a bad situation.

Lump

Old 10-14-2012, 01:45 PM
ch54
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I put $2000 down on my bike with a credit card. I was told the remaining balance could be paid with a personal check when I picked it up. When I came back 2 weeks later the policy had changed due to the dealership taking a large bad check at the parts dept. My bank had a branch 4 blocks away so getting a cashiers check wasn't too big of a deal.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM
lumper
Road Master

Mohawk, is that an Indian motor your sporting in your emicon?

I cant tell but in the pic they look like round heads/valve covers.

Lump

Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
mnclassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sucks that us honest folks have to put up with so much **** these days because of a few dishonest people.

Back in the day, you could right a personal check for just about anything and no one would think twice about taking it.

These days people don't even trust checks from banks and expect you to show up with thousands in cash in hand to buy something.

How does a perspective buyer know they're not going to get robbed and end up empty handed or even dead?

In my book the best option these days is to meet at the buyers bank so the seller can see the check being cut and know it's not faked.

I just bought a bike on a spur of the moment deal. Ran to the bank got a check and the dealership took it no problem. Might have a lot to do with the fact that they just saw my credit report, knew what bank I used and checked to make sure the check was from that bank.

It's just making it more and more difficult for everyone to buy anything from a private party. Who can you trust?

Old 10-14-2012, 02:19 PM
MontyD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mohawkpan
I pulled the trigger to upgrade my 2007 Streetglide, ordered the bike the way that I wanted it and it came in last week. I have a small deposit and with my trade there is a 7K balance, the dealer that I am using now tells me that they will not take my HD visa card or a personal check, they want certified funds in the form of a bank check. It's not a big deal to stop at the bank to get a check but I am wondering what other guys have experienced. I have written checks before and used my card at other dealers without question. Any opinions on how other dealers operate would be appreciated. Thanks.
Personal checks are becoming extinct. The risk is too high for merchants. I've not used a personal check in 10 yrs. With online banking, credit cards, and certified bank checks, no one needs personal checks. Personal checks will be gone in less than 10 yrs.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
VinnyM
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lumper
Mohawk, is that an Indian motor your sporting in your emicon?

I cant tell but in the pic they look like round heads/valve covers.

Lump
59 Panhead, a work in progress for several decades now!

Quick Reply: Dealer question