Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cold weather riding tips

Headed home from work this morning and its about 46F outside, this gave me a little inspiration to write about some things I have learned about cold weather riding. Most of you will have me beat in hot weather riding but the Arctic air is what I like best. 17F is the lowest temp. I have experienced to date and I may have to set a min. of 35F for myself this winter due to safety issues I have experienced with ice and such.

I love leather for winter riding nothing beats the wind protection it provides.

Gerbings heated gloves have been the only things I have really NEEDED in extreme cold weather.

Put a thin coat of fog tech inside you helmet or goggles to keep the lenses and shield clear. Works on windshields too.

Thin multiple layer work best the thick layers will be restrictive and catch more wind. Under Armor works best for me.

Using a scarf to cover your face is a good idea in any temps below 30F if you dont wear a full face helmet

Always check air pressure!!!

So please share some of your experiences when riding in the fall/winter months

Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,128 Likes on 11,637 Posts

I make sure my windows are rolled up and the defroster works properly
I work outside in the brutal elements, not interested in riding in them..
My job isn't necessarily 7am to 4pm, as it could easily be 7am to 4am depending on what breaks in our antiquated water system.

I have found dressing with multiple thin layers protects better than bulky layers.. Gerbings always worked well in these situations....Something to stop the wind from reaching the body, and something to heat the chest, back, and arms.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

When it gets real cold, I wear a ski mask. Side effects are it scares the people at the gas stations . I also wear a tuk under my helmet to cover my ears.

I wear harley winter gloves.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 AM
mnclassic
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear a poly-prop base layer when it gets below 45 degrees. Thin, light weight and wicks moisture away from your body when the day warms up.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 AM
mattkenzie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Army issued silk-weights under my clothes - good down to mid-thirties.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 AM
77fordman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my bike in july. I plan on riding as long as i can. Rode last night at 44 deg. Long underwear insul boots. Long sleeve shirt chamois shirt leather jacket. Just ordered some chaps. Was nice and toasty.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
Headed home from work this morning and its about 46F outside, this gave me a little inspiration to write about some things I have learned about cold weather riding. Most of you will have me beat in hot weather riding but the Arctic air is what I like best. 17F is the lowest temp. I have experienced to date and I may have to set a min. of 35F for myself this winter due to safety issues I have experienced with ice and such.

I love leather for winter riding nothing beats the wind protection it provides.

Gerbings heated gloves have been the only things I have really NEEDED in extreme cold weather.

Put a thin coat of fog tech inside you helmet or goggles to keep the lenses and shield clear. Works on windshields too.

Thin multiple layer work best the thick layers will be restrictive and catch more wind. Under Armor works best for me.

Using a scarf to cover your face is a good idea in any temps below 30F if you dont wear a full face helmet

Always check air pressure!!!

So please share some of your experiences when riding in the fall/winter months

Where do you mount the temperature control unit (Gerbings), does it attach to the bike or does it clip onto you clothes?

Old 10-14-2012, 08:08 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I made a mount for my temp control that uses the saddlebag mount bolt. Didn't like all the wires hanging off my belt, now there's just one wire to connect and deal with.

Attached Thumbnails Cold weather riding tips-image.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

When it is under 42, I wear a helmet liner, cuts down on drafts, and adds some warmth. I would invest in Gerbings, but I usually put my bike away when it gets that cold, because we run out of daylight, and too many deer around here.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default I'll Ride Year Round

My cold weather gear -
Gerbings jacket liner
Gerbings G3 gloves
Harley dual controller w/Captain Itch mount
Light nylon wind breaker
Lined nylon wind breaker
Harley neck gaitor
GOOD wool socks

I can combine the jackets in any and all configurations to accomodate for temps from mild down to the upper 20's. If I need to plug in, my bike is pre-wired with a power port to plug the heated gear controller into. The Captain Itch mount makes heat setting changes on the fly EZ! DON'T OVERLOOK THE IMPORTANCE OF A GOOD PAIR OF WOOL SOCKS! I ride every day with the exceptions of active rain fall, snow, ice or just to damn cold.

Quick Reply: Cold weather riding tips