Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather riding tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

In the 60's I stuffed newspapers under my jacket, shivered uncontrollably, and stopped to thaw my fingers occasionally. I found out a cheap plastic raincoat did wonders for stopping the wind. Leathers... not something I could afford then. Late 70's I finally got stuff that would keep me warm at foolish riding temperatures and discovered the joy of sliding on snow hundreds of miles from home. Now, at 65, I don't need cold weather gear cause I moved to Minniesota without considering all the consequences, like salting the crap outta the roads when it frosts, and I won't put a bike on that that unmentionable stuff till a spring rain washes it off.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took off a few days ago when it was 40F. Had a full face balaclava under the 1/2 helmet with pull down visor. Up top I wore UA moisture wicking shirt, long sleeve T, insulated hooded jacket and an insulated leather jacket. Down below was insulated undies that are 50/50 cotton/poly, Levi's and lined chaps. Under the over ankle leather boots were two pair of socks, one cotton, one wool. Gloves are winter weight.

The only thing that got cold, even while doing 70mph, were my eyes. Fingertips weren't toasty so I am looking into heated gloves. I solved the eye issue by picking up a pair of goggles that are foam lined.

I road last night for two hours plus in 50F weather and I loved it. Is there a temp that might be too cold for the bike? I don't plan on riding it when it gets to 10F or below. I do want to give it a shot in the teens though.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 PM
forever 2 wheels
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by forever 2 wheels
They work very well! Keep a set in my saddle bags, one of the best gifts a rider could receive

FYI: GATOR SKIN REVIEW: Recent camping trip (Tents Only) northern (AZ). Rode up loaded with camping gear for the weekend. Temps started getting into the forties and high thirties.
I have two Gator Skin Long sleeve shirts, always have a fresh one ready to go for those long rides. As soon as I put the G/Skin on at camp I was much more comfortable in it rather than the layers of clothing and my FXRG Jacket.
Later in evening I noticed the others were adding hoodies-jackets-blankets and whatever they could find. I offered up my extra G/Skin shirt and it was on, I had offers to buy it and the one I was wearing!
This Christmas I'm going to ask Santa for the G/Skin long johns and whatever else there selling.
I hope my spare shirt is returned, I already lost a good flashlight and hunting knife on this trip.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With a full set of heated gear,layering is useless,and pointless. All I wear is the Gerbings,jacket liner,pant liner,socks,and gauntlets.Pair of Thorlo heavy socks over the Gerbings and 800 gram Russel Riders for boots.Either the Langlitz jacket and Xelement demin jeans,or Tourmaster rain suit for outer garment. The heated gear is windproof,no need for anything else.Windproof face mask,half helmet,goggles, or Decot shooting glasses.Done.I ride all winter,the right gear makes it easy.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My cold weather riding outfit. A little bulky but easy to slip into and out of.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...mail-view.html

Old 10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Gerbings gloves are on my list. My hands are the only thing I can't keep warm and my 40 minute commute when it's pitch black out and 33 degrees is otherwise tolerable: good insulated leather jacket with an additional zip out liner. Good leather boots and long john lowers (thought the wind still gets through). 3/4 helm with face shield, neck wrap and below 40 you can bet the windshield goes on.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt0987
My cold weather riding outfit. A little bulky but easy to slip into and out of.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...mail-view.html
That works real good in the rain, too.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FXRG jacket,lined chaps head sock (balaclava),olympia gloves & thermals. im good down into the low 20s but my finger get cold so i think im going to look into a set of gerbings heated gloves.

i did put my carhart bibers on one time......still undecided on that.

the wife has gerbings heated jacket liner, heated socks & heated gloves. H-D leather jacket & chaps & thats good for her to about 40* then if it gets any colder or its windy she will put on her carhart bibers over all that. (there pink LOL)

Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Cold weather gear

1. 100% cotton socks under 100% wool huntin' socks with thick, heavy,motor cycle boots.
2. 100% cotton boxer drawers, 100% silk long johns, 100% cotton insulated long johns, heavy, high quality leather trousers. NO CHAPS!
3. 100% cotton long sleeve heavy tee shirt. 100% cotton heavy long sleeve sweat shirt with H-D logos. Heavy, high quality leather jacket, with liner. 100% cotton neck scarf.
4. Heavy, insulated leather gloves and using hand and hand grip enclosers.
5. Full face helmet.
6. If temp is expected to get below 50 degrees, I stay home.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

This hits home for me because I'm cold-natured. Here is what I do:

1. Jacket: I just bought a new synthetic waterproof and windproof jacket from HD on sale and it is the best I've ever used. It is fine up to 75-80° with large vents that can be opened in the rear when needed. Below 50° neck insulation has always been a weak point on the jackets I've owned, but this one is the exception. If yours is lacking in the neck area I would buy a leather bandana (neck warmer) to keep the cold air out.

2. Layer your clothes. Start with a long-sleeve shirt with an optional liner or sweat shirt under the jacket.

3. Gloves: In winter I carry light, medium, and heated gloves at all times. My hands get cold in air-conditioned rooms in summer (not too much of an exaggeration) and it sometimes seems like there is no blood circulation there, so I often need the heated gloves. I also have a controller since the gloves do work well and can get too warm. Hands are my weakest area for getting cold.

4. I also have an HD/Gerbings jacket liner, which is a bit of overkill for our S. LA winters, especially since my new jacket works so well, and I may sell it. Or, I may buy a dual controller so I can regulate the heat better, as the single controller channels too much heat to the liner when the gloves are also connected with a Y-adapter.

5. Flannel- or fleece-lined jeans. I have three pairs of these and they work well.

6. If you don't have them already, lower fairings help considerably in winter when the vents are closed.

7. Ski mask or balaclava. I have the latter and it works to protect your face when it gets <50°. The downside is that mine steam up my sunglasses when not moving and that's a pain.