Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide VS the other touring bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 PM
dloreski
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Street Glide VS the other touring bikes

Hi everyone.
Coming from racing motocross as a kid, I bought my first street bike a month ago. It's a new Fatboy Lo.
I absolutely LOVE it!
I was originally thinking about adding bags and a windshield to it, but now I'm leaning towards getting a second bike for longer rides and keeping my Lo the way it is for shorter rides.
So far I've sat on the Road King ( it just doesn't fit me well ) and the Street Glide ( Fits me pretty well, but not as comfy as my Lo and I do like the style of it ).
I think I'm going to try them all at a Demo Day in the spring, to know for sure.
Just curious as to why you did or didn't choose the Street Glide vs the other touring bikes.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking for a distance bike, you should definitely ride an Ultra before making up your mind.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:23 PM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SG is the sleakest looking touring bike

gives you everything the other touring bikes give you, but without the grandpa look of the trunk

hey, need a trunk for a trip, just add it, then take it off when you are done

also the monochromatic paint schemes of the SG are the most appealing in many peoples eyes

Old 10-12-2012, 01:51 PM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The SG is latest cat's meow. Seems like everyones got one or maybe two? I ride a FLHR. I like the way it fits me, my style of riding and versitility (windshield off short rides/windshield on for touring). No extra stuff to weigh the front down. My next choice would be the RG Custom. A little more weight up front but at least, not on the handle bars. The shark fairing (IMHO) is a bit more aerodynamic than the SG's. But like you said, give 'em all the try and decide for yourself.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a SG, I didnt like permenantly mounted fairing as well as the limited handlebar options due to the way they have to angle out the fairing. I now have a Road King. Add tourpack, fairing that has far better sound system and lowers and guess what I have an ultra but I can remove all that when not in travel mode.

The Road King truely is the King of the road

Old 10-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

All these touring bikes are essentially the same bikes, with different accessories added on.

Each has their own style, and people can pick the one they like.

Street glide appeal is the cool looking, stripped down appearance and lowered ride. Less expensive than the Ultra.

You can easily (but not inexpensively) adapt most bikes from one to another.

Biggest differences seems to be in the choice of windshield, bat fairing, or shark nose.

All these bikes are set up for lots of miles of easy cruising, and are very adaptable to the owners customization.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I went from a Street Glide to Limited. I use my Roadking for canyon riding.

Ultra Limited is just comforable. But the SG was fun.

Ultra is a great value--but you will need to spend a lot of money on the SG to get it near the Ultra.

If you like the SG look get an ultra and de-chrome the bike.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:35 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old saying:

If I knew then what I know now... Get the Ultra, then change the tour pack mounts to detachable. If you need it lower (like I do), change the front springs and replace the rear with an air adjustable suspension, for the best of both worlds setup.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the Street Glide but I thought if I bought the EG Classic I could make more of a unique bike by removing the Tour Pak etc.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 PM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dloreski
Hi everyone.
Coming from racing motocross as a kid, I bought my first street bike a month ago. It's a new Fatboy Lo.
I absolutely LOVE it!
I was originally thinking about adding bags and a windshield to it, but now I'm leaning towards getting a second bike for longer rides and keeping my Lo the way it is for shorter rides.
So far I've sat on the Road King ( it just doesn't fit me well ) and the Street Glide ( Fits me pretty well, but not as comfy as my Lo and I do like the style of it ).
I think I'm going to try them all at a Demo Day in the spring, to know for sure.
Just curious as to why you did or didn't choose the Street Glide vs the other touring bikes.
Really sounds like you wouldn't truly be happy with another bike other than your FB low. So maybe follow through on your original plan: bags, windshield, soft lowers (all removeable when you're done your trip). Way more economical than having 2 bikes! Trust me, I know!

Quick Reply: Street Glide VS the other touring bikes