Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removable tour pack trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,102 Likes on 22,580 Posts

Love mine, and one of the best/handiest mods/add-ons that I think that I have put on.
You will use it all the time, and if your wife rides you she will love it too.

If you get one, my advice is to get the chopped one.
It is right in the middle of the sizes. The sizes go; King, Chopped and Razor.

The King has the wrap around arm-rest for the passenger which is just dorky lookin', especially with out the speaker pods.

The Chopped is a smaller version of the King and does not have the dorky lookin' wrap around arm-rest, which looks much cleaner.

The Razor is the smallest of the tour paks and as such is not very practical, all things considered, but will probably hold at least a pizza. lolol..

Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I just got used bolt on mount and rails for my cheap ebay tourpac. Takes less than 30 minutes to change out but I never do it. Hangs in the garage? I ride solo and haven't done any week+ rides since I got it. Bike came with the docking kit but I took it off as with the classic leather bags the lids/docking hardware hit. I would also worry about thieves with the quick mounts.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 AM
ratdoc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your situation, I guess. Mine comes off when I ride solo and goes back on when the wife comes along, so I change the Tour Pak several times a week sometimes. Had it on the old bike for 10 years and it's the one mod I negotiated for when I got the new bike. I love it.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:56 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

Only use the tour pac when riding 2 up or if going on a roadtrip that is more than 3 nights. Don't like the extra weight and bulk when riding solo which I do a lot.
On my old 89, I fabbed by own quick release set up for the tour pac and when I sold the bike to get an '11 SG, I kept the tourpack.

One of the first things I bought for the '11 were the quick release brackets and the bracket to mount the old tourpac. It took 20 minutes to bolt it all up and it works friggin great. when the Mrs or the kids want to go for a ride, just pop it on in under a minute and go. As soon as we are done, it comes right off and sits on the shelf till its needed again.

It was well worth it.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
HogglyWoggly, both my '03 before adding the detachable hardware and my new '03 had the license plate barcket welded to the tour pack bracket which gets removed when you go detachable.

Where did you get your license plate bracket and did you flip your tailight lens to get the white light down?
Sorry but I don't recall the manufacturer of the license plate bracket but you should be able to find it with a search on here. But you loosen the bottom of the light bar and the bracket attaches there. I then used a lighted license plate frame. I have smoked lenses with LED's front and back and have no license plate light in the tail light lens.

HTH