Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Stock pads. I forgot to ask them if the pads were worn-didn't think of it, I was so upset.

I was getting a free tire and rear pads - maybe that's why the rotor is bad - not making enough money on this service call.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As they say, "That dog don't hunt". Rotors should last way longer than that under normal usage. You have reports here of 67,000 and 100,000 which sounds entirely likely to me, judging by the condition of my rotors and those of people I know (with several brands of bike between us). Grooves in them are normal and unless they are below the minimum thickness (which is stamped on them) measured in three equidistant points around the rotor, they are good to go.

Personally I have just under 25,000 miles on mine with buckets of life left in them. And I ride in a city where I'm constantly on the brakes.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The Brembo calipers have a tendency to warp the 1 piece rotors due to the excessive heat that they create. A full floater like a Lyndall Carbon Composite carries a lifetime warranty and is a fully floating as opposed to many of the 2 piece rotors on the market for Harley Davidson's. We run these on both our shop VROD and my Dyna and the stopping power is excellent although you need to run the Lyndall gold pads for the first set of pads as well for warranty purposes.

http://www.lyndallbrakes.com/products/

Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
grbrown, I asked the dealer if it was warped or worn out. He said it was worn and had some grooves in it.

It just seems ridiculous that a mostly unused rotor would only last 10K miles. That's a very expensive upkeep item.

I'm thinking of telling them to leave it as is. I don't use it anyway.
I agree that wear needing replacement is unacceptable at that mileage, but you should be using both brakes. Unusual having to say that as some North Americans think they will fall off if they use the front! With a heavy touring bike the rear contributes a significant proportion of the braking.

I have ridden bikes since the first disc brakes were introduced in the 70s. They were crap without exception back then, much worst than good drum brakes. I joked at the time that discs only started to work when they were badly grooved - the increased braking area was essential!

Last edited by grbrown; 10-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:15 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Time to go to the tavern for a pint.
Dealer just called and said my bike is ready. I called back and talked to the service manage. I asked what the problem was with the rotor since I didn't hear back from the tech. He said he looked at the rotor and it looked good to him so they went ahead and put on the free pads and signed off on it. I pick it up tonight.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Ask them what the runout on the rotor is. .008 is Harley spec. Anything voer that should be replaced under warranty.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
harleyposer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltmdl90
They are made from junk steel. I had the first set replaced at 11,000 miles and they need them replaced again at 14,000. Front are warped again. Time to put good rotors on.

Look at the stamp they are made by Brembo

Brembo never ever ever makes ***** !

Last edited by harleyposer; 10-11-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

It's not the rotors, it's the calipers. Of all the rotor issues I have seen working here, 99% on newer baggers with Brembo calipers. The calipers work great but they get the rotors really hot.

Last edited by Hogpro; 10-11-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 PM
okcjetmech
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Well good....sounds like either that dealer has a svc tech that cant read a dial micrometer/ dial caliper or he's new and trying to impress with parts sales

Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

I'd ask for the spec. IF they were unable to provide it i would wait until they did and insist on a new 2 piece rotor due to their incompetence.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors