Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012 | 07:59 PM
WolfDog
|
Road Master
Default Battery Question

2010 Limited, ran like a champ 2 weeks ago, go to fire it up on Saturday 1 half crank then nothing.
5 hours on the tender green light fires right up..
Sunday ride with buddy's after church lunch and 210 miles all fine.

Question is, amp meter is running at 14 to 15 volts, and also noticed it drops to 12 during idle, and rises up and down with throttle.

I seem to remember in the past it would always hang at about 14 when running and never varies as mush as its doing now.

Is the battery about to fart dust?

Old 10-08-2012 | 08:03 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

It doesn't seem like a battery from 2010 should be farting dust yet. Have you checked your battery connections? I recently pulled in to a gas station at the end of an all day ride. When I went to start it, just click...then nothing. Pulled the seat and found the positive cable on the battery was a bit loose. Tightened it up and all is good again.

You could pull the battery and take it to Auto Zone or similar and have them do a load test on it. Most places will do it cheaply, if not for free. That would confirm the condition of the battery. If it tests good, then a charging test is in order.

Last edited by Deucedog; 10-08-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2012 | 08:04 PM
edge540steve
Cruiser

They start charging at about 1500 rpm so at idle there not putting much of anything to the battery. I would check to see if your connections at the battery are loose or even the ground end is loose. Battery might be ok but if all the connections are good I would change it out. Not starting when you push the button sux!

Old 10-08-2012 | 08:15 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior

Try putting an ohm meter to the posts and then turn it on. See if it drops below 12 volts. If it doesn't, see how far below it goes when you hit the starter. If it drops below 10V i bet it's a goner. But as mentioned, check the batteries connections.
I was parked outside Sears recently, and in somewhat of a hurry when my scoot failed to start. After cycling the ignition a couple of times, I went for the battery. I found both terminals loose, but not very much so. It was obviously enough to keep it from starting. I snugged up the connections and have been cruising flawlessly since.
Good luck with yours. keep us posted.

aka Bob

Old 10-08-2012 | 08:19 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Turbo Turtle: I know what you mean, but I just want elaborate so that OP gets the correct info.

If he's going to check for voltage, he wants a volt meter not the ohm meter portion. I'm sure that's what you meant, just making sure.

Old 10-08-2012 | 08:34 PM
WolfDog
|
Road Master

I guess ill pull it apart tomorrow night and take a look, try the volt meter check.

I just cant see a battery going before 3 years, but ya never know...

Thanks for the tips.... will keep digging..

Old 10-08-2012 | 08:55 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

If the voltage is fluctuating while riding it's not the battery that is the issue it's the stator. The stator should be putting out constant voltage while riding.

Old 10-08-2012 | 10:14 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master

I had a replacement factory AGM battery strand me in the desert after six months. These batteries can fail at any time, without warning. And my bikes are always on battery tenders.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 10-08-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2012 | 09:22 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by WolfDog
I guess ill pull it apart tomorrow night and take a look, try the volt meter check.

I just cant see a battery going before 3 years, but ya never know...

Thanks for the tips.... will keep digging..
Your battery is probably 3 years old. If your bike is a 2010, there's a good chance that it was built in 2009, and if that be the case it is probably a 3 year old battery.

Old 10-09-2012 | 11:51 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Your battery is probably 3 years old. If your bike is a 2010, there's a good chance that it was built in 2009, and if that be the case it is probably a 3 year old battery.
+1, could still be a bad battery. Definitely easy to have somewhere test it for you. Good luck!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Quick Reply: Battery Question