Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Breather Problem ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:20 PM
buick_81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open Breather Problem ...

I have an open breather (round) and I've noticed when going on high speeds for a long time (90+ for 120 mins.+) meaning of high RPM for a long ride the breather starts to drip oil out of it and with wind the oils goes on the header pipes, RH side cover and the saddle bag and I have to wipe it everytime. they're some drips but I need to know is it normal? I have a friend had a bike with the same filter with same problem. looks like with the high pressure the oil is going from inside the engine through the throttle body. on my last ride I was checking the inside plate of the breather by my finger and I get some very small tiny oil drips on my finger. so anybody had the same problem? any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by buick_81
I have an open breather (round) and I've noticed when going on high speeds for a long time (90+ for 120 mins.+) meaning of high RPM for a long ride the breather starts to drip oil out of it and with wind the oils goes on the header pipes, RH side cover and the saddle bag and I have to wipe it everytime. they're some drips but I need to know is it normal? I have a friend had a bike with the same filter with same problem. looks like with the high pressure the oil is going from inside the engine through the throttle body. on my last ride I was checking the inside plate of the breather by my finger and I get some very small tiny oil drips on my finger. so anybody had the same problem? any suggestions?

Thanks.
Check out all the Treads/Posts on oil blow by out of air filter..Use the Search function on the menu bar.

What make air filter do you have and what kind of backing plate???

Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ir-filter.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...uring-out.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-cleaner.html

A few threads on the topic....I recommend a tubing routing modification, it cured mine and I can keep the oil level right where I want it.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM
buick_81
Cruiser

lesson learned ... either to re-route the crank vents ... or just lower the oil a bit which is what I'd go for ... thanks guys.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Run 1/2 quart low and lightly oil filter when you clean it. That should solve your problems, if not you can always do one of the mods suggested here.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The breather lets air into the bowels of the engine and back out again. Every time the crankshaft rotates and the pistons go up and down, the crankcases 'pant'. Leaving the breather open will inevitably allow oil vapour out, which will condense where it touches.

Put a filter on it, or connect it back to the engine air filter.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 AM
buick_81
Cruiser

will try to lower the oil level 1/2 quart 1st and then will see what happens. the thing that I'm doing is to top off the oil to it's fill level after each and every ride. I think this the problem. I'm running SE oil which supposed to be lighter than the normal HD oil. thanks again.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by buick_81
will try to lower the oil level 1/2 quart 1st and then will see what happens. the thing that I'm doing is to top off the oil to it's fill level after each and every ride. I think this the problem. I'm running SE oil which supposed to be lighter than the normal HD oil. thanks again.
I would not run an oil cooled/air cooled motor 1/2 qt low on oil. New Umbrella valves are probably the best, ( and biggest PITA,) solution.

I replaced mine 35,000 miles ago ( at 81,000 miles,) and just now I'm getting the "spittin'" on the rear header again. When it gets worse, I'll change 'em again.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its funny I always read these threads, and understand whats happening. But why on my 88incher, with a HD Stage 1 AC (big sucker) do I never have oil in my filter. I have my oil level on the full mark, and im still using the dry paper filter that comes with the HD AC kit, and have never seen even a little bit of oil in my filter.

Im wondering why some experience it, and some dont.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,818 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyMay
Its funny I always read these threads, and understand whats happening. But why on my 88incher, with a HD Stage 1 AC (big sucker) do I never have oil in my filter. I have my oil level on the full mark, and im still using the dry paper filter that comes with the HD AC kit, and have never seen even a little bit of oil in my filter.

Im wondering why some experience it, and some dont.
It's not the entire reason, but perhaps because the 96/103 motors have a 4.38" stroke vs the 88/95 motors 4.00" stroke. So there's less crankcase turbulence in the 88/95 since the pistons don't move as far up and down.

Quick Reply: Open Breather Problem ...