Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Securing saddle bags

Didn't want to hijack a couple of other threads that are currently discussing the theft of their bags and the capture of some low lifes for doing so.

My question is, if you use bolts and nuts to secure your bags, do you use any kind of rubber washers to give them some cushion? Seems to me if you secure them without some form of forgiveness, the vibration of the bike over time will cause the bags to crack and break from being rigidly mounted.

Any thoughts or experience on this?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:11 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Didn't want to hijack a couple of other threads that are currently discussing the theft of their bags and the capture of some low lifes for doing so.

My question is, if you use bolts and nuts to secure your bags, do you use any kind of rubber washers to give them some cushion? Seems to me if you secure them without some form of forgiveness, the vibration of the bike over time will cause the bags to crack and break from being rigidly mounted.

Any thoughts or experience on this?
I've never used bolts but I don't see the difference. There's already a thick rubber gromet that protects the bags. Presumably you'd keep those gromets in place.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

No Experience - just my thoughts -

If you use the OE washers from the original pins wouldn't it be the same cushioning as original? It would seem that if you tighten till snug you would be good to go.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:59 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

That makes sense. For some reason, I forgot about those rubber grommets already there. Some flat washers and should be good to go.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 PM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I was just out looking at my bags. Seems like some mighty cheap insurance. I guess the only drawback is when you want to remove for washing and whatnot. Looks like a trip to lowes is in order for me.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cweiss
I was just out looking at my bags. Seems like some mighty cheap insurance. I guess the only drawback is when you want to remove for washing and whatnot. Looks like a trip to lowes is in order for me.

That's the only reason I haven't already done it. I have to take off the right bag to check tire pressure, and the left bag to air up the suspension for two up riding. Would be a major pain in the butt as much as I take the bags off.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,855 Likes on 19,336 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That's the only reason I haven't already done it. I have to take off the right bag to check tire pressure, and the left bag to air up the suspension for two up riding. Would be a major pain in the butt as much as I take the bags off.
It's not a "major pain in the ***" to remove the bags once you secure them with fasteners other than the Dzus fasteners that come on the bike from HD ... A 5/16 bolt has a standard 1/2 hex head and I'm sure that all of you/us have an old 1/2 inch wrench laying around in one of the old tool boxes, or the "junk drawer" in the kitchen ... It only takes a few seconds to loosen, then remove the bolt ... It really is cheap insurance ... and believe me the thieves aren't only in the Vegas area as the other thread stated ... They're everywhere!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts
Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 PM
diegodocks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting but what am I missing? If you lock the lids they would have to be broken to get the bags off and render them worthless, talking about the hard bags right? Just asking, I am not a thief so I don't know about these things but whats the difference if you use bolts? Is this somthing I should consider to protect my bags?

Shanty Irish Trash

Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Locking bags is not going to help. They release the pins from the outside with screwdriver or long pliers by turning the end ofd the pin

Quick Reply: Securing saddle bags