Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Sequence?

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Put these in and forget it..............

Like that idea! Parts from local hardware store? U nut on the frame with bolt / washer from in inside of the hard bag using the stock rubber washer?

Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:03 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That's the only reason I haven't already done it. I have to take off the right bag to check tire pressure, and the left bag to air up the suspension for two up riding. Would be a major pain in the butt as much as I take the bags off.
I can get air in my tire by simply rolling the bike to position the valve stem near the bottom.

For the air shocks, it's pretty easy to re-locate the fill valve. Here's a thread describing how I re=located mine... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ock-valve.html

Originally Posted by diegodocks
This is interesting but what am I missing? If you lock the lids they would have to be broken to get the bags off and render them worthless, talking about the hard bags right? Just asking, I am not a thief so I don't know about these things but whats the difference if you use bolts? Is this somthing I should consider to protect my bags?

Shanty Irish Trash
It's pretty easy to open a locked bag by unclipping the fixed latches [clevises?] (or whatever you call them) on the back side of the bag. I found that out at a dealer when my bike was in for warranty work. The tech needed to remove the left bag to get to the data port and rather than asking me for the key he just popped the lid by disengaging the back-side latches. I saw the bag off and asked how he did that... he replied "easily" and explained how he did it... Called it a trick of the trade. I was a bit pissed as these back-side latches were not designed to be undone in this manner and I'm sure repeated attempts will compromise their intended function. But it can be done - so locking your bags is not the answer.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 PM
fastwalkin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

diegodocks... Not to be difficult but if its this easy to remove the bolts I ask again whats the difference if you just lock the lids. Seems you would have to do something more then just put a nut and bolt on......

not sure if you saw this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ivvR-MzuwpI

this link on youtube shows how quick/easy it is to take your bags...

Old 10-06-2012, 05:46 PM
ShadowMonster
Tourer

Originally Posted by fastwalkin
diegodocks... Not to be difficult but if its this easy to remove the bolts I ask again whats the difference if you just lock the lids. Seems you would have to do something more then just put a nut and bolt on......

not sure if you saw this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ivvR-MzuwpI

this link on youtube shows how quick/easy it is to take your bags...
That's with the quick release system in use, not a nut and bolt, cannot flip them off with a ubolt or bolt and nylon nut in the bags.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,352 Likes on 5,494 Posts

You can just go buy 4 bolts and nuts and do it yourself for less than a dollar not need to the phony stuff they market.
But here is a bit of news, when they first started marketing this stuff the threads came up every where Bags were falling off up and down the road all of the sudden it was a disaster . Well that only worked for awhile. Most figured out it was not so. Then they came back with the Bags are getting stolen one right after another.
Funny how soon as the thread comes up along comes a post for an after market fix.
I sure a bag has fallen off, some do not secure them correctly when removing them it can happen. I an also sure a bag or two has been stolen, normally the steal the whole bike much easier.
But It never did pass the smell test. I know of no one personally or through a second party that has had a bag fall off or stolen.
But what the heck I'll sell you some bolts for 49.95 plus S&H.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:08 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,832 Likes on 11,560 Posts

That's the only reason I haven't already done it. I have to take off the right bag to check tire pressure, and the left bag to air up the suspension for two up riding. Would be a major pain in the butt as much as I take the bags off.
How much of a "major pain in the butt" would it be to replace stolen bags ??

It takes me less than 2 minutes to remove each bag and I am using the Brukus
deterrent system.

just saying

Old 10-06-2012, 06:13 PM
ShadowMonster
Tourer

I'm using a 5/16 bolt/washer and nylon nut in the bag and I can ratchet them off in the same amount of time..... $3.46 per bag

Last edited by ShadowMonster; 10-06-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I do both without removing the bags.

Move the bike so the tire valve is at the botton. add/remove air with the left side bag lid open. Very straight forward. If you're removing bags you're going to ways too much trouble.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
You can just go buy 4 bolts and nuts and do it yourself for less than a dollar not need to the phony stuff they market.
But here is a bit of news, when they first started marketing this stuff the threads came up every where Bags were falling off up and down the road all of the sudden it was a disaster . Well that only worked for awhile. Most figured out it was not so. Then they came back with the Bags are getting stolen one right after another.
Funny how soon as the thread comes up along comes a post for an after market fix.
I sure a bag has fallen off, some do not secure them correctly when removing them it can happen. I an also sure a bag or two has been stolen, normally the steal the whole bike much easier.
But It never did pass the smell test. I know of no one personally or through a second party that has had a bag fall off or stolen.
Security bolts offer more deterent than regular bolts. I guess that's what Brukus is offering, along with the tool to fasten/unfasten. No need to slag them here.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
mattkenzie
Road Master

Originally Posted by smitty901
Damn, Top. Don't be so cynical; you are just mad that you didn't think of it first. Cha-ching

Quick Reply: Securing saddle bags