Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control won't shut off!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 PM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cruise Control won't shut off!

Hi everyone.
I just recently got a new (to me) 2011 FLHRC.
Everything was fine and dandy until, all of a sudden, the orange cruise control icon will simply NOT shut off. I initially thought I must have knocked the switch on inadvertedly (still getting used to the controls), so I tried toggling it between the on and off positions but it seems no matter what I do, the little orange light just won't go off.
Am I missing something here?
Am I doing something wrong?
Checked the owner's manual but can't find a solution.
Please help.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about the road king but on my SG the CC light is orange when the switch on my dash is on. It then turns green when I engage it with the handlebar controls. Is there another switch some where maybe?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 PM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you are doing everything right. The switch on the handlebar is just to engage and disengage. The switch just right of the ignition switch should kill the power, if not that switch must be bad.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I leave mine turned on all the time, even on my '07 and it never hurt anything. Now if you're saying you can't get it to disengage, then you have a real problem.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the owner's manual? I thought I remembered reading something about it staying on and red. I'll go try to find it and get back to you

Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

I have an 08 FLHRC. On the left side there is a cruise system on/off switch which turns the orange light on (for armed) and off (system won't work). With the switch on the right side, the system is activated (after being turned on with the left side switch) You must be going 30 mph or faster to engage the cruise (right switch, light turns green). Pulling the right switch outboard engages the cruise. Once engaged, pulling the switch outboard decreases speed by 1 mph per switch click. Pushing the right switch inboard while cruising will increase speed by 1 mph per click. If the cruise has been on but was temporarily disengaged, pushing the right switch inboard will resume the last selected speed.

The cruise can be disengaged with the front brake, the rear brake, or rolling the throttle forward past idle, green light turns orange. Pulling the left switch outboard totally tuns off the cruise system, orange/green light goes away until that switch is pushed inboard again. If that left switch won't turn off the orange light, something isn't right, whether the switch, a pinched wire, a dirty connector etc.

If any of the functions are different on an 11, I have no knowledge of the changes. My son's '11 Road Glide Ultra works the same way. Rather than the system on/off switch being below the left turn signal button as on your machine, his is on the switch panel just behind the handle bars and the indicator works the same way.

Last edited by btsom; 10-05-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:59 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was wrong! I could have sworn I saw something about staying on but there's only a part about it flashing when you turn EITMS off. Didn't see anything about staying constant. Sorry man but good luck.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 AM
TJ_Ben
Advanced

I can't find anything in the manual or online. The darn thing just will not shut off. It doesn't hinder nor in any way draw from my riding experience, but it's certainly annoying, unsettling to see the light turned on all the time when it shiuld be off. It's a feature that doesn't respond to the controls. I guess I'll have to bring her into the shop, something I was hoping would be a loooong time away.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 AM
TJ_Ben
Advanced

Took a 150 mile ride today.
Cruise was ALWAYS on, regardless of the switch's position. It would engage both in the on or off positions.
I take this to mean that the CC system in itself is okay, just the switch is defective or broken or stuck or something. I'll have to take her into service and have them fix/change the switch. Should be covered by factory warranty, right?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:22 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Being a 2011, you bet.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control won't shut off!