Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control won't shut off!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ_Ben
Took a 150 mile ride today.
Cruise was ALWAYS on, regardless of the switch's position. It would engage both in the on or off positions.
I take this to mean that the CC system in itself is okay, just the switch is defective or broken or stuck or something. I'll have to take her into service and have them fix/change the switch. Should be covered by factory warranty, right?
TJ you still haven't said which switch you are talking about. The switch to the right of the ignition switch is the on/off switch for the CC itself(which turns the CC system on or off when you flip that switch the orange light will come on)and stay orange until you set the cruise with the handlebar switch(at whatever speed you set it at) then the light will turn green

Old 10-07-2012, 07:57 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

are you sure you are turning on/off the right switch...left handle bar below turn signal....
also the bike may not be under warranty still...I have a 11 flhrc and it is out of warranty as of 9/15/2012...

Old 10-08-2012, 12:31 PM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The switch on the fritz, is the one on the LEFT side handlebar. Under the left turn switch and the horn buttons. The set/resume switch works fine. I just can't turn off the CC and it's a little unnerving. I feel I could engage CC involuntarily.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

TJ there is nothing on the left handlebar that is part of the CC. You have 2 switches that control the CC one is the on/off switch tto the right of the ignition switch and the other is the set/run switch on the RIGHT handlebar so I dont know what you were told but STOP dinking around with the left handlebar it controls the horn, hi/lo beams, left turn,stereo volume,bass,treble,fade,display and push to talk if you have a cb. Right handlebar controls, engine kill switch, mode switch(changes from radio to aux, weather, cd) right turn, and cc set and resume switch.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
TJ there is nothing on the left handlebar that is part of the CC. You have 2 switches that control the CC one is the on/off switch tto the right of the ignition switch and the other is the set/run switch on the RIGHT handlebar so I dont know what you were told but STOP dinking around with the left handlebar it controls the horn, hi/lo beams, left turn,stereo volume,bass,treble,fade,display and push to talk if you have a cb. Right handlebar controls, engine kill switch, mode switch(changes from radio to aux, weather, cd) right turn, and cc set and resume switch.
He has a Road King not EG

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The switch on the fritz, is the one on the LEFT side handlebar. Under the left turn switch and the horn buttons. The set/resume switch works fine. I just can't turn off the CC and it's a little unnerving. I feel I could engage CC involuntarily.
were the bars or grips changed possible it was not put back together correctly

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the switch to turn cruise on and off ( left side ) is not functioning correctly.
Get a new one?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like switch is bad to me too. Good luck! Hope you get her fixed!

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM
TJ_Ben
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I can tell, having fiddled around with the thing ad nauseam, I too believe it's just a bad switch. So I guess I'll just take her in to the dealer's and have them change it under warranty. Hope it doesn't take them more than a couple of hours.
Thanks for all your input and reassurance.
Stay cool. Ride safe.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as I can tell, having fiddled around with the thing ad nauseam, I too believe it's just a bad switch. So I guess I'll just take her in to the dealer's and have them change it under warranty. Hope it doesn't take them more than a couple of hours.
Thanks for all your input and reassurance.
Stay cool. Ride safe.
I'm gonna bet on just a loose connection inside the handlebar control, but hey, it's under warranty, let them go in there. Now, just to be sure one more time, you don't have a CC switch near your ignition switch? SORRY! Just couldn't resist!

Quick Reply: Cruise Control won't shut off!