Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with brake light staying on and cruise not working!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM
BK26_SLICK_SG
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with brake light staying on and cruise not working!

I finally made the jump over here to this forum and traded my Rocker in for a 2007 Street Glide with custom paint, 18/21 rear/front PM wheels, and many more mods. Pics coming soon btw. Problem is that I just noticed that my cruise control stopped working and the brake light is staying on. I figure this is a brake light switch and was reading on this forum that it is most likely the rear switch. I unplugged the switch beside the right floor board (assuming this is the brake light switch) and the light remains on. This tells me that it is most likely the front brake light switch. Anyone have any information on how to replace the front brake light switch or advice on this issue? Thank You in advance.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
1BADSG
Cruiser

Do a search on "Brake light stays on". Lots of good post.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't assume the front switch is bad. Typically the handlebar c-clamp or switch housing assembly may have slightly moved out of position causing the micro switch inside the housing to activate the brake light as if you pulled the brake lever.

I would loosen the switch housing screws a bit and push it up against the c-clamp good and tight and retighten.....

You should be able to see the little rubber booted micro switch when pulling in the brake lever. That has to be butted up tight to the handlebar c clamp. Try that.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
CornbredNE
Tourer

Originally Posted by BK26ROCKERC
I finally made the jump over here to this forum and traded my Rocker in for a 2007 Street Glide with custom paint, 18/21 rear/front PM wheels, and many more mods. Pics coming soon btw. Problem is that I just noticed that my cruise control stopped working and the brake light is staying on. I figure this is a brake light switch and was reading on this forum that it is most likely the rear switch. I unplugged the switch beside the right floor board (assuming this is the brake light switch) and the light remains on. This tells me that it is most likely the front brake light switch. Anyone have any information on how to replace the front brake light switch or advice on this issue? Thank You in advance.

Also a good posibility given the fact that your bike is 5 years old is that your front master cylinder needs a rebuild. It's a $30 part from Harley and with rebuild and bleed takes about an hour to complete. Problem solved.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 PM
steelpony5555
Tourer

Push out on the handle bar lever to see if it goes out. Mine did that and was just dirt in the little switch in the handle bars.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

There should be a little button in the center of that rubber boot on the switch that the front brake lever pushes against. It breaks off if you look at it wrong (very fragile) if you don't know about it when playing with the switch box or brake lever. I used rubber cement to glue a very small plastic bolt head on the front of the boot and fixed my self caused problem without having to buy and install a new switch. So far so good for 4 1/2 years.