Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed up today

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Screwed up today

I am embarrassed to admit that today after servicing the tranny on my 2012 SG I noticed that the gear lube level was above the full mark on the tranny dipstick.
So I took a syringe and some silicone tubing with a small brass tube extension to try and suck out some tranny gear lube.
Well as you you no doubt guessed the silicone tubing with the brass tube fitting fell off the syringe and fell into the tranny.
I drained the tranny and tried to look down the fill hole but I can't see anything.
I also tried a small hemostat into the fill hole with the hope of being able to get a hold of the tubing with no luck.
So my question, what is the least hassle way to get into the tranny to remove this tubing?
Would removing the oil pan give me access to the area I need to get to?
Thanks in advance.
Boy do i feel stupid.
Lesson learned.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 PM
MIKEMCFI
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to your local auto parts store and get a finger pick up tool, do a google search and you will see what it is.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM
kmayHD
Road Master

D'oh! Geez thats a bummer man, Id assume youd have to go in through the bottom........ but you maybe be able to gain access through the side cover, which will only invole removing the exhaust, and taking the cover off, and a new gasket of course.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Too bad there are not plastic magnets!

I feel your pain,had a problem with a dowel pin.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKEMCFI
Go to your local auto parts store and get a finger pick up tool, do a google search and you will see what it is.
I have one of these tools but I don't think I can get the tool down to where I need to get it to get the tubing out.
I can't see the tubing through the fill hole.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Make a fish hook out of some strong wire. Compressed air might blow it around so you can get to it. Is it light enough that filling it with oil will make it rise again?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 PM
MIKEMCFI
Intermediate

It's worth a try, the cable is flexible and you have the fill plug and drain plug to try. If you have not rotated the trans more than likely it is on top of the gear set.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if the suction from a shop vac would work ?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM
BamaBoyjc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say safety wire doubled over and folded into a hook and then some patience. Have used this trick to fish many things out of the about 7 feet of shaft and Main Rotor deice harness shaft of helicopters...torn packings are the worse and take about 30 min and 100 failed tries but you get it eventually. I'm sure you should be able to get it fairly easily

Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Mark_H
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks. Don't feel bad, we all mess up sometimes. I just went and did some experimenting on my 11 SG. I have enough clearance on mine to get an allen wrench into all the bolts on my tranny cover. Removing the heat shield gives me full access to bolts on the oval part and I can get to the two larger ones from underneath. Hopefully you have a lift. I'm thinking if fishing it don't work you gotta drain it and pull the side cover. Its a toss up as to whether or not you will have enough clearance to remove the bottom two bolts with the allen in the bolt. I had about 1/4" clearance between the back of the wrench and the exhaust. It just depends when they get finger loose. If it were me, I would sacrifice an allen wrench to the motorcycle gods and break out the grinder and shorten it up by 1/2" or so so I would definitely have enough clearance before starting. Don't forget to grab a new gasket. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Screwed up today