Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed up today

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's quite a setup you used there. Next time just use the tubing and nothing else, why the brass fitting? Why the syringe? Keep it simple, people are always over complicating things. It takes 15 engineers standing around for six hours discussing what to do when a country boy walks up and knocks it out in five minutes.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

After you try sucking it out and if that don't work give it a blow job with the side cover off.
If even THAT doesn't work give the neighbor kid $ 10.00 to fish around with it for a day.

Last edited by drukanfu; 10-04-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
After you try sucking it out and if that don't work give it a blow job with the side cover off.
Isnt the top cover the easiest to get to.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
That's quite a setup you used there. Next time just use the tubing and nothing else, why the brass fitting? Why the syringe? Keep it simple, people are always over complicating things. It takes 15 engineers standing around for six hours discussing what to do when a country boy walks up and knocks it out in five minutes.
This is so true! I remember when I started working in the aerospace industry. I was around 28 years-old at the time and already had about 15 years of real-world mechanical experience.

I've told friends of that exact same experience - I already new how to fix whatever the problem was before they could even get enough engineers there to study the problem.

But in their defense, everything in the aerospace industry needs to be fully documented and approved before you ever touch a wrench to it.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I had two short pieces of silicone tubing each one by itself not long enough to get the job done.
So the brass was a way of joining the two tubes together.
I have tried the finger pick up tool route with no luck, I tried using a shop vac to try to get the tubing closer to the fill hole, no luck. Looking at the shop manual I don't think removing the tranny side cover will give you access to the gears without removing the tranny. Does anybody know if this is correct? Will removing the side cover give me access to the area I need to get to or will the tranny gears need to be removed also (big job)?
Will removing the oil pan give me access to the inside of the tranny case from the bottom?
Thanks

Old 10-04-2012, 11:00 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Isnt the top cover the easiest to get to.
True, The side cover isn't going to do you any good...sorry. I'm just panicing for the OP. Yeah, take the top cover off. Bottom.....ehh...I dunno if thats going to do ya any good either.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Just finished trying to fish the tubing out with a variety of methods with no luck. Can't even feel the tubing. I think this tubing piece is in the bottom of the trans case and not on the gears.
I am beginning to think the only way to get this tubing out is to remove the whole gear set.
I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow and have them come pick up my bike as i don't think it would be wise to run it with foreign material in the tranny.
How large are the holes from the tranny case down into the oil pan?
Could this piece of tubing be in the oil pan as I drained the gear lube out and could the tube have run into the oil pan?

Last edited by P51Driver; 10-04-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top cover is easiest to deal with. Gasket is inexpensive, and you get to check the shifter return spring for wear while you're at it.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Roadking Cal
Top cover is easiest to deal with. Gasket is inexpensive, and you get to check the shifter return spring for wear while you're at it.
But can you get to the bottom of the trans case when removing the top cover?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you dropped the tubing into the fill hole. If so the tubing will have lodged in the side cover under the clutch throwout bearing. It should be right there when you take the side cover off. I can't imagine how it could end up in the gears.

Quick Reply: Screwed up today